Hemp Fishing

James Pos

Hi, i am trying to learn how to hemp fish as i have mastered squatt fishing & bread punch fishing. I know if i get hemp working it will be very rewarding. I fish the Bridgewater canal every Tuesday at GrappenHall. I was wondering about what type of rigs i will need, What diameter line will i need ? Float type 4x10 etc. Also how many grains i should feed at a time & Should it be spreaded out or potted in ? what length should i fish e.g. 11 M etc Lastly what depth (Over Depth, Dead on the Bottom, Under depth)

Any answers welcome.

Regards James B)

Buy ready boiled hemp and nick the hook in the white kernal. use the Hemp sparingly as feed and use olivettes as the fish will attack shot on the line causing false bites

Thx for your advice. Can any one else give me any more adivice please.

Regards James B)

I love hemp fishing, like you say it can be devastating particularly during matches. I have had some good results on hemp in matches but it takes a lot of perseverance and not always works. In fact more often than not it will not work but when it does you can nick the fish from the whole section.

If I'm in a match on canal during the summer it's the first thing I start feeding from the whistle.

As Benacre says olivettes are the norm but you can also use style leads in bulk too, all depends on where the fish are taking the bait but if you get it right then they will be feeding on the drop. Feed little and often and don't give up even after a couple of hours, the main secret with hemp fishing is patience, keep feeding the same line over and over, it won't do any harm and will attract the fish.

If lucks on your side then they will be queuing up for the bait, there will be fish just below the surface right through the water waiting for the seed to be dropped in. You must keep feeding the same line, it may take some time but it will attract the fish whether it's after 30 mins or 2 hours.

I have fished matches and won on hemp while the guys either side of me have all but given up. If you have faith in the bait then it's only a matter of time till you get it right, especially this time of the year.

I assume your fishing the pole, thats the best easiest way to hit the bites. I would fish a short line between the pole tip and float, the bites can be very fast, far faster than with any other bait so it helps to be right over the float as it goes away. I would fish a smallish canal type float with a fine bristle with an olivette and a couple of small style leads as droppers. You can fish bulk shot but remember the fish tend to go for shot when there in a frenzy. You could also try strung out style leads and see whats happening on the drop but generally olivettes are the way to go mate.

Don't pot in the hemp, or at least I wouldnt, its too fiddly and you may miss bites because they could be taking your bait as soon as it's hits the water. If I were you I would just feed something like 15-25 grains of hemp every minute or so.

Remember, feed very often even if nothing happens for some time, fish a very short line from the pole and expect some fast bites. Nearly forget, cook the hemp till the white kernel shows and the seed splits. Push the hook into the hemp so the barb shows, don't hook the hemp in any way it's best just to push the hook in between the hard shell and the white kernel. Best hooks are those with longer than normal barbs so they are exposed enough in the seed.

This is sort of what I would do, and have to say I have had some great results on the magic seed so good luck mate!

oooo it's got me going now....

Have you tried Tares mate, you could feed hemp and try fishing Tares. Hemp cooks faster and Tares take ages to cook so try soaking them over night in water, even then they will take ages to cook and get soft!!

Good luck, remember they won't always work but when they do you won't forget what happened.

there is a very good video on hemp fishing ,called stoned with hemp by mike stone ,you might find a copy on e-bay

BYgZctwB2kKGrHgoH-C8EjlLlykEBKhnBGB.jpg

i`m having a clear out of my video collection ,i`m in the process of sorting them out ,I have the above video ,if you would like it ,i can let you have it for £3 posted .

there will be other video`s listed in the classifieds soon

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Hey, Thanks for the advice, I have tried hemp on some occasions, The odd time i get bites. I have tried tares & it is so much easier to hook, only trouble is that smaller fish dont take it. The Bridgewater canal mainly has roach averaging 2 oz i usually catch, but last night on bread punch i caught a decent roach about 4-6 oz. I am looking to change to a bait instead of the ordinary bait that match anglers usually take like pinkies, squatts & punch,also feed a squatt line as well. Last night i fed about 2- 3 grains of hemp in my swim which helped to keep the roach in my swim i think. I won my match with 3lb 5 oz on squatt & fishing pinkie over the top & Punch which was 2 hours long. There was about 20 minows & only 2 Juniors which was me & another lad (which was a pitty). But i thought to myself i am still competing against them aswell. Would a Kamasan B511 wide gape size 22 hook be ideal for hooking hemp ?

Any more advice welcome.

Regards James B)

Hi James, the Kamasan B511 would be fine I guess, you know what it's like, hooks are a very personal choice aren't they!

Hemp's easy to use on the hook, just squeeze it from end to end so the hard shell opens up and slide the hook in but don't hook the seed itself, it's not the correct way to use it.

You just can't tell whats going to happen with hemp, sometimes it doesn't work but then sometimes its spot on. This is the perfect time of year to try an hemp style attack in a match mate.

James Ive always done best fishing hemp on the drop.For this use small style leads spread out "shirtbutton" shotting style.

Another tip Ive found good is to get some tares and use them as hook bait rather than hemp which you just feed with.The advice given regarding hooks is good as well.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hey, Thx for the advice i might try it this weekend but on the Shropshire union canal, i know there is definatley a good stock of roach & the stretch is rarely fished. Only if i have time though. I will see what happens.

Any more advice/tactics welcome

Regards James B)

there is a very good video on hemp fishing ,called stoned with hemp by mike stone ,you might find a copy on e-bay

BYgZctwB2kKGrHgoH-C8EjlLlykEBKhnBGB.jpg

i`m having a clear out of my video collection ,i`m in the process of sorting them out ,I have the above video ,if you would like it ,i can let you have it for £3 posted .

there will be other video`s listed in the classifieds soon

I'd be up for purchasing this. If not for the fishing but the wonderful title. Anyone for paranoid with dope by mike paranoia... You couldn't make it up! :D

PM me.

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)