eBay - PayPal - Surcharges

Elton

There was a discussion here a while back about eBay banning PayPal surcharges....

So, how does one report a company that still lists with surcharges?

Much as I agree with their right to, I don't see why some have to obey by rules whilst others don't...

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Why not just send them details of a listing policy violation, to here.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/contact_inline/index.html

****** New eBay.co.uk Surcharge Policy ******

Date: 07/06/04 Time: 03:02:07 PM BST

As we previously announced on 7th May 2004, the amendment to the Surcharge Listing Policy will take effect today.

Surcharging occurs when sellers pass the charges they incur for using eBay or third party services such as payment services onto buyers. Surcharging slows down the completion of transactions by increasing the number of interactions between buyers and sellers, costing sellers valuable extra time and putting buyers off by making the process less transparent and more complicated.

The following Surcharge Listing Policy is now in force:

1. Electronic Money Services

Sellers who accept electronic money services as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay, may not impose a surcharge. Electronic money services include, but are not limited to, services such as PayPal, Nochex, FastPay or Moneybookers.

2. Cheques and Money Orders

Sellers may not charge buyers an additional fee for their use of ordinary forms of payment, including acceptance of cheques and money orders.

3. eBay Fees

Sellers may not pass onto buyers any eBay selling fees including but not limited to listing fees, listing enhancement fees and final value fees.

Exceptions to the Surcharge Policy:

1. Credit and Debit Card Payments: Surcharging is permitted where sellers accept credit or debit cards as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay. Such sellers will have merchant accounts with a bank or credit card company.

These sellers may not pass on to the buyer a charge greater than the amount of the commission payable by the seller to the bank processing that credit or debit card payment. In other words, sellers may recoup the charges incurred as a direct consequence of accepting the credit or debit card, but no more.

Please note that under English law, sellers have a legal right to pass onto the buyer the charges incurred for a credit or debit card transaction. However, this right does not apply to electronic money services. Where a credit or debit card is used to purchase electronic money to fund a transaction made via an electronic money service such as the ones listed above, this is not a credit or debit card transaction, but an electronic money service transaction.

2. Posting and Handling: Sellers may add a reasonable posting and handling fee to the final price of their item, providing that this fee is disclosed up front in the listing. A posting and handling fee can cover only the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. Posting and handling fees cannot be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

3. Escrow: Sellers may pass along the costs associated with using a third party escrow service, if the buyer chooses to use an escrow service and if the costs are disclosed and agreed to in advance by the buyer.

4. Different Currencies: Sellers may choose to accept payment in a different currency than the currency listed on eBay. If the buyer chooses to take advantage of this optional payment method, the seller may pass along to the buyer any costs associated with the currency exchange, provided that the costs are disclosed and agreed to in advance by the buyer.

NB: Items that were listed prior to today can be listed under the old policy. However, all new listings, including relistings, should comply with the new policy above.

Regards,

The eBay.co.uk Team

[ 07. July 2004, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

Nice one...

[ 08. July 2004, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: Elton ]

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Not even a baby lamb :D

I also think it should be policy for sellers to leave feedback immediately after recieving payment. It really bugs me that they don't leave feedback untill recieving it. Chance to get revenge for bad feedback due to poor service me thinks!

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

LOL I always try to leave feedback when someone pays.

The eBay system sucks, though, so it's an uphill battle! :D

*Anthony*:

I also think it should be policy for sellers to leave feedback immediately after recieving payment. It really bugs me that they don't leave feedback untill recieving it. Chance to get revenge for bad feedback due to poor service me thinks!

I now always tell the seller I will not leave feedback until they post theirs. You can post a reply to adverse feedback anyway.