Here we go!

Kappa

Several have already mentioned it but autumn is just around the corner, and I can't wait!

Perch, chub and maybe even a cheeky go for some large roach! If I'm really really lucky I might just find some barbel!

Only question, will the weather play ball?

What are your plans this autumn?

Rich

Yep! Can't wait for the autumn because the angling gene really kick's in - all this silly boiling hot weather may be good for barbeques and ice lollies but lets get them lovely 'fuzzy' autumnal days going! If people want barbeque weather then they should go and live near the equator.......hee hee. :P

Plans - pretty much what you have suggested actually Mr. Capper - Chub will be the main target, random fits for Perch here and there and I'm always after them big river Roach.

Fingers crossed on the weather I guess, will have to take it on the chin, as always.

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

1st Sept will mark the start of my winter campaign. Flood water barbel, low water grayling with plenty chub roach and dace somewhere in the middle. Oh and a salmon or 2 with 1 on the fly before the end of Oct. Should keep me busy till March 15th.

Nearly forgot and a double figure bream from the Ribble.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

1st Sept will mark the start of my winter campaign. Flood water barbel, low water grayling with plenty chub roach and dace somewhere in the middle. Oh and a salmon or 2 with 1 on the fly before the end of Oct. Should keep me busy till March 15th.

Nearly forgot and a double figure bream from the Ribble.

Well where i am the Hurricane 'Bill' is on us lol, well the backside of it, so its sunny then rainy and so on..:(

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

Winter campaign started for me today with a bit of planning for a change. Whilst riding around Thatcham on my Enfield early this morning I hatched a plan for a dusk Barbelling session on the Kennet. Two tins of luncheon meat later and my chosen swim was pre-baited...at 9:00am. The fish would have to wait for the main course.

5:00pm I was wading upstream as quietly as I could, difficult to do quietly if you want to make any sort of progress. First trot produced a Chub of a pound and I was rewarded with a large quantity of mashed luncheon meat being ejected on to my hand. Second trot produced another small Chub and I was beginning to think that this would be the form for the rest of the evening.

Third trot and a Barbel. A small one but still my PB at 3lb 9oz, the plan had worked :D It was a beautiful slim fish and fought every ounce of its weight.

Photo is poor, I'd forgotten my unhooking mat and wanted to get it back in the water quickly.

IMG_3669.jpg

After that nothing, not even a bite, it was all over in twenty minutes. I trotted luncheon meat until about 7:30pm but the allure of a chicken tika masalla and a glass of red wine finally got the better of me, not to mention the drizzle.

So I hadn't fished into dusk but the pre-baiting had helped the session I think. For the fish to have been immediately keen on the hook bait (until a couple had been caught) suggests they were at ease. Next time I’ll bait two swims.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Health and dog sitter permitting I will be spending as much of September as I can targeting bream at Wingham.Normally I would also like to be barbel fishing on the Severn,Kennet and Arrow as well but might not be able to this year.

October will see the last bream trip and the start of my river piking season.I try and get on the rivers as much as possible in the Autumn as I think its a great time to be on running water.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The real fishing starts here! Autumn and winter are my favourite times of the year, I find it really hard to get excited about fishing in the summer. Those lovely soft, dewy and dull autumn days when the perch hunt all day long, and the bitter, crisp, freezing winter days on a river with that glassy green colour - I can't wait.

Like Budgie, I'm going to try my hardest to fish for the Wingham bream in September (work permitting), and after that it's river perch, river chub - well, rivers generally. I hope to stumble across some good pike as I expore the Thames too. No doubt I'll have a few trips to the perch stream if conditions are right, and the river I fished for chub last winter, but I'll be mainly on the Thames - plenty of blanks but what if I caught the really big one...? :D

So much to look forward to :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've been practising my beach-casting, looking for those extra few yards to get me amongst the lunker cod, and started tying rigs in readiness.

But whilst impatiently waiting for the first reports to start to come in, I've sorted out my pike-fishing tackle and I'm planning to try a first trip out on the Rother tomorrow.

(I might also go looking for a big Autumn bass).

When the cold really starts to kick in and I've had my fill of codling (or they've failed to show this year) it will be big roach and perch I'll be targeting (so long as I don't get side-tracked by the chub).

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Autumn is by far my favourite season, Not just for the fishing but for its shear beauty. All the colours of the leaves changing just makes being by the river more enjoyable. September will see me out with a bit of perching. And i will be hoping towards the end of the month we get a good drop of rain to give the rivers a good flush through, And i will continue my not to successful so far barbel campaign. Then come the frosts, If we get any i will get back onto my pikeing. Trouble with me is i love having a go for most species and the autumn does cause me a lot of confusion.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.