ICES advice on bass ?

glennk

As I understand it anglers over there are restricted to taking two fish in any 24 hour period. That seems reasonable to me. I don't think my family would want to eat any more than that.

Fine if you go fishing a couple of times a week, maybe, but pity the poor 'once every three months' angler who's saved up and paid his hard earned cash for a charter trip in the hope of putting a few fish in the freezer.

Every angler I know self-regulates - the criteria are his own conscience and the size of his freezer. What I, and some others I know, tend to do is stock up at the start of the season, when possible, and then pretty much return everything when we have enough fish at home (this isn't exclusive to bass, by the way). I'll keep a few if some have been eaten at home, or if a fish is deep hooked and unlikely to live. That way, when the fish move on, there's a bit left to keep the family going.

The supermarkets have a freezer aisle that offers the same sort of service, for those who prefer commercially-caught fish.

The size limit I set myself is bigger than the MLS, too, purely because fish on the limit don't seem worth the effort of filleting to me.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same is true of kayak fishing Elton, the weather can mean we dont get out for long periods. I think I went almost a month at one time this summer where we couldnt get afloat due to weather conditions. Its a good point well made Elton and many many people do just what you have said. They book charters and catxh the fish for the coming months. What normally follows when someone makes such a post is they get called a freezer filler, then told that fish frozen for over a month tastes bad, then told after 3 months its inedible. Oh and finally you must be selling it, you greedy selfish bugger.

Colin are you concluding that anglers will fish the bass stocks down to zero ? How can this be when research shows the stocks to be increasing year on year. The main factor effecting stock size is said to be the weather.

Im also wondering about what you say about the average size of bass in Ireland being five or Six pounds. Is this really the case ? Or is it a case of someone once said it, so it must be true. I havent seen any research on this subject but would like to have a read if you can provide it.

On the grounds that it is unreasonable to ban commercial fishing for the species and not show some restraint ourselves.

Here's an example for you. Portland race, can't be trawled or netted for obvious reasons so the commercial boats do the same as the charter boats, drift up and down with rod and line, how would your restriction argument be used in this case, two for the anglers, two for commercial, would that be reasonable?

What would it acheive.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

If you read the science Barry it suggests the stock is being fished sustainably, the breeding stock is following a 20 year trend which shows an increase. Some of the research hints that the species sucess is related to not being managed like the cfp fish. The only factor said to cause variations is the weather.

Just done another bass trip this time it was in the race, nine anglers with the best bait, live sandeel, result, two or three bass just sizable. Even the charter skippers are sayng that they are now light on the ground. Just one commercial boat our skipper spoke to, three guys aboard who make a living at it. Result, seven bass shared with three profesional guys. Could it be that the bass have gone on holiday from where they live? This science, is it the latest on offer. I would like to know how the weather can play a part. Yet another trip planned for later this month, it will be interesting to see what is on offer.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• 2 weeks later...
Im also wondering about what you say about the average size of bass in Ireland being five or Six pounds. Is this really the case ? Or is it a case of someone once said it, so it must be true. I havent seen any research on this subject but would like to have a read if you can provide it.

Glenn, maybe I wasn't clear what I meant to say. I wrote

"If our bass averaged five or six pounds then I can't see why any angler would want to take more than two home. "

I didn't mean to say that is what the average size of bass in Ireland is at this moment, or is ever likely to be. I think it IS reasonable to say that is what the size of the bass taken (as opposed to caught) could be over there in a few years. The average size of the stock will obviously be about two or three pounds, but anglers will be putting them back knowing they have a good chance of getting a bigger one.

That angling catch report I put up isn't a one off. Here's one I saw today that reminded me of this thread.

http://www.wirralseafishing.co.uk/forum/ph...pic.php?t=15652

the beach must have been wall to wall with Bass in the end you started to get fed up caching them believe it or not.

Not from a power station outflow or a reef, just from a bog standard beach!

Glenn, maybe I wasn't clear what I meant to say. I wrote

"If our bass averaged five or six pounds then I can't see why any angler would want to take more than two home. "

I didn't mean to say that is what the average size of bass in Ireland is at this moment, or is ever likely to be. I think it IS reasonable to say that is what the size of the bass taken (as opposed to caught) could be over there in a few years. The average size of the stock will obviously be about two or three pounds, but anglers will be putting them back knowing they have a good chance of getting a bigger one.

That angling catch report I put up isn't a one off. Here's one I saw today that reminded me of this thread.

http://www.wirralseafishing.co.uk/forum/ph...pic.php?t=15652

Not from a power station outflow or a reef, just from a bog standard beach!

Thats the story from a lot of place Colin. I know Marks where its knee deep. But I wont be publicisng them. Not for fear of commercial netting but for fear of DEFRA turning them into nursery areas.

I know Marks where its knee deep. But I wont be publicisng them. Not for fear of commercial netting but for fear of DEFRA turning them into nursery areas.

glennk, not Peter Kay

You lucky little booger.

When I go bait digging I can catch a dozen under 30cm bass in the Nursery Area on the fly fer fun in the shallows.

I caught loadsa sizeable 5lbs - 13-12 lbs from my open beach in the 90's ...

bass13lbs12.jpg

now I've given up proper bass fishing from the shore.

The mature fish have been obliterated ....

I'm sorry, that should read -

the climate is changing and this is moving all the bass from the Med northwards.

Yeh.