Drill charger

Peter Sharpe

I have a Woolworths cordless electric drill and the lead seems to have broken that goes from the mains transformer and plugs into the base station. I was guessing that a replacement would be simple to find for about a fiver, but I'm damned if I can find one anywhere. I have a multi voltage one that will plug into it, but the maximum output is only 12v, whereas I need 24 for this to work. Does anybody know what key words I should be putting in, because "drill charger" and "24v transformer adapter" doesn't turn up any relevant results at all.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I have a Woolworths cordless electric drill and the lead seems to have broken that goes from the mains transformer and plugs into the base station. I was guessing that a replacement would be simple to find for about a fiver, but I'm damned if I can find one anywhere. I have a multi voltage one that will plug into it, but the maximum output is only 12v, whereas I need 24 for this to work. Does anybody know what key words I should be putting in, because "drill charger" and "24v transformer adapter" doesn't turn up any relevant results at all.
That's because it's not a "transformer" it's a switched mode power supply.

Maplin may have a solution

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=...O&U=Strat15

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

.......................... the lead seems to have broken that goes from the mains transformer and plugs into the base station..................................

Why not just fix the lead?

Sorry Peter for jumping in, but I have a similar sort of problem with a Battery powered Bath Hoist. The company who supplied it originally are asking for £65 for a 24V transformer?! And when it came it fails to work! But just thinking, this MAY be useful to you if you don' fix yours? And maybe I am looking at the wrong thing for the hoist? It is simply two 12v alarm batteries wired in series!? Would this supply do for me?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Thanks for that link corydoras - it's more than I paid for the drill in the first place, but it's better than throwing it away.

As for mending the lead, how on earth do you find out where the break is? And that's assuming that it really is where the problem lies.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

As for mending the lead, how on earth do you find out where the break is?

And that's assuming that it really is where the problem lies.

It was the only thing you mentioned as being broken. :rolleyes:

Anyway; wiggle it, pull it, just generally manipulate it along the length and feel for any inconsistencies, it will most likely be near an end if it is broken, .....or just cut the whole lead off and put a new bit on.

Careful what you buy! It's easy to mistake a transformer for a PSU and vice versa. For instance those Maplin devices ARE transformers, that's why they are dear. (I know because I have one!)

As an "outside the box" solution. Is there any other cordless tool made by the same manufacturer that you might want that would have the same charger? Maybe a jigsaw or something?

Edited by ColinW