My first wrecking trip

Worms

Strange thing this "handedness"

For all my fishing with fly reels, centrepins, spincasters, closed face and fixed spool I use LH wind, cast and hold the rod in my right hand.

With multipliers I used RH wind - from big game down to light beachcasting reels, and hold the rod in my left hand. Casting uptide or off the beach is two handed.

....and here is the oddity - using American-style multiplying baitcasters, I use RH wind, cast righthanded and immediately transfer the rod to my left hand to retrieve.

What you get used to I suppose - been fishing that way ever since I bought the reels. .

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found a left hand drive Saltiga...........nice but a bit too pricey, the two speed Avet's cheaper!

I shall see what's being used on Monday on the sharking trip (weather permitting) and have a natter with some of the lads on the boat. Although a bit pricey the engineer in me likes the look of the Avets. I'd like to see one in the flesh before laying out a lot of loot. I must contact the importers for some measurements to calculate a rough line retrieval figure..........in the autumn silly season at the moment.......loadsa work! :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I do alot of drift fishing for the double figure pollack, codling and small cod. I would say that the avet in high gear would be working hard to pull up say a nice pollack fishing conventionally, i.e. a straight wind. I have a shimano that is 6-1 and realisticlly i cant use that for that type of fishing, so in practical terms you will be either pumping the avet in high gear or using the low gear, much the same speed as the 624.

All i use is a 5-1, 3/0 sized reel (tiny) with braid, coupled with a lightweight braid rod and find i can catch good fish in all states of the tide, many upto 19lb. The average depth offshore in the channel is 55m.

As a big gun reel that i use at anchor or if it's more than ten ounce of lead is a abu 9000. Although the gearing is lower, 4-1

the spool is a lot larger so i do not notice the difference in the time to wind up. What will be the average depth you are fishing at?

Wish i was going fishing with you on the sharking trip as i do have two old penn senator reels that would just love a trip out with a chance of pulling a decent one of those up. Both of those are really low geared, however i do know that they would cope with it, without any worry.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

The average depth is, unfortunately quite variable! From 50 to 300 feet. I suspect that the majority of my fishing will be in 50-150 feet so the Mitchell's will be quite adequate for most of that. I've read quite a few reports on the Avets and they seem popular for deep water pirking so perhaps the spools are quite small diameter giving realistic line retrieval figures!

I've e-mailed Rok-Max, the UK distributors for more info so I may know more soon.

As for the sharking, well, it's been quite good recently apparently with some huge blues landed off Milford Haven (rumours of a new Welsh record 216lb plus!). This will be my first dedicated shark trip but I'm trying not to get too excited :blink:

Looks like I'm going to be working down your way tomorrow Barry, in sunny Strood so I must get an early night to try and beat the mayhem that is the M25!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

The average depth is, unfortunately quite variable! From 50 to 300 feet. I suspect that the majority of my fishing will be in 50-150 feet so the Mitchell's will be quite adequate for most of that. I've read quite a few reports on the Avets and they seem popular for deep water pirking so perhaps the spools are quite small diameter giving realistic line retrieval figures!

I've e-mailed Rok-Max, the UK distributors for more info so I may know more soon.

As for the sharking, well, it's been quite good recently apparently with some huge blues landed off Milford Haven (rumours of a new Welsh record 216lb plus!). This will be my first dedicated shark trip but I'm trying not to get too excited :blink:

Looks like I'm going to be working down your way tomorrow Barry, in sunny Strood so I must get an early night to try and beat the mayhem that is the M25!

Blimy, thats close enough to pop in for a cup of tea. :) You'll be ok on the m25 as the traffic will be going while your coming and coming when your going. :D

Anyway, if you are pirking in deepwater, you would be using something like 500 g or more. That would mean a fast retrieve reel will not really be suitible for that as well, so again the 624 would be more appropriate. I'm just trying to stop you from wasting your money here. :D

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I'm just trying to stop you from wasting your money here. :D

I know, I know, but those Avets just look soooo tasty :D

Ahhh right as i thought a tart in the making. :lol:

Have a look at these two from my mate down devon, they are obviously not new, however if Mike tells you they have been little used it will be true. Loaded with line, can't be bad.

I know they are not lever drag, however from a personal point of view that will certainly not put me off.

http://www.fishingdartmouth.co.uk/fishing_tackle_sale.htm

Ahhh right as i thought a tart in the making. :lol:

Have a look at these two from my mate down devon, they are obviously not new, however if Mike tells you they have been little used it will be true. Loaded with line, can't be bad.

I know they are not lever drag, however from a personal point of view that will certainly not put me off.

http://www.fishingdartmouth.co.uk/fishing_tackle_sale.htm

Nice looking reels Barry but right handed too!

I've got some info on the Avets now, The MXL seems to fit the bill. About the same size as a Mitchell 600 (3/0?), and rated as a 20-25lb reel according to the American sites. The 2 speed has retrieve rates of (approximately and with a full spool) 37" and 21.5" and the single speed (5.8:1) has a retrieve rate of 34". They are rather good casting reels as well apparently.

Strike drag of 9lb and full of 16lb sounds about right for matching an Ugly Stik 20-30lb charter special (fell into my lap at a good price but I wil look out for a lighter rod too!).

I think the single speed should just about fit the bill nicely and it's a lot cheaper at £165 delivered but it knocks my £100 budget out of the window though!

Just to re-cap, my fishing will be off the Welsh coast mainly for tope, pollack, spurdog, cod and black bream at depths varying from 50-300'. Obviously I will catch completely different species to those I target but what the hell!

Any flaws in my thinking so far?

Any flaws so far?

Just the one

You seem to after a reel that will do just about anything to catch just about anything and I doubt very much whether such a reel exists

For most of the fishing you mention I use a Abu 6501 ( the 1 denotes left handed in all the Abu range) in waters up to about 30 fathom (180 ft), for water deeper than that or in the same water where I'm expecting bigger and more powerful fish I use an Abu 7000, what their retrives are or what their ratios are I could'nt tell you without referring to the box or watching the spool. What I do know is that retrieval rates and ratios only matter when you have'nt got a fish on, get hooked up and you can only retrieve as fast as the fish will allow you to, thats why most boat multipliers are a bit low on their gearing.

Any decent fish will stop you from winching in your catch and modern rods don't lend themselves very well to cranking tools so you have to work the gear, rod and reel , collectivley to reach the surface with the fish still on

I can see how a reel with a 6:1 ratio would be an advantage when bringing up your gear from 50 fathom but in all honesty how many times will you be fishing in that depth of water and if you got such a reel, which is going to be big and heavy, how will it be a balanced set up with a 20/30lb class rod. I would have thought it would be better to get a reel to balance the rod you've got and look to a later date to buy heavy big boat gear that would make a balanced set up

Any flaws so far?

Just the one

You seem to after a reel that will do just about anything to catch just about anything and I doubt very much whether such a reel exists

For most of the fishing you mention I use a Abu 6501 ( the 1 denotes left handed in all the Abu range) in waters up to about 30 fathom (180 ft), for water deeper than that or in the same water where I'm expecting bigger and more powerful fish I use an Abu 7000, what their retrives are or what their ratios are I could'nt tell you without referring to the box or watching the spool. What I do know is that retrieval rates and ratios only matter when you have'nt got a fish on, get hooked up and you can only retrieve as fast as the fish will allow you to, thats why most boat multipliers are a bit low on their gearing.

Any decent fish will stop you from winching in your catch and modern rods don't lend themselves very well to cranking tools so you have to work the gear, rod and reel , collectivley to reach the surface with the fish still on

I can see how a reel with a 6:1 ratio would be an advantage when bringing up your gear from 50 fathom but in all honesty how many times will you be fishing in that depth of water and if you got such a reel, which is going to be big and heavy, how will it be a balanced set up with a 20/30lb class rod. I would have thought it would be better to get a reel to balance the rod you've got and look to a later date to buy heavy big boat gear that would make a balanced set up

Perhaps my last post gave the wrong impression! I realise one reel won't fit all types of fishing, you only have to see my freshwater collection to see that :D

I have a number of older reels that are fine in shallower water and I also have a heavier reel (Policansky No. 4). I was specifically after a lightish weight reel for use in deeper water that wouldn't see me reeling like a lunatic! Obviously line retrieve rates are governed by gearing and effective spool diameter. My plan was to find a left hand wind lever drag reel with a line retrieval rate in between my old 624 (24") and some of the modern high speed reels hoiking in 40"+. From a lot of research it would appear that the average line retrieval figure is approximately 32" for most modern reels (presumably based on a full spool). My calculations are based on a 3mm gap twixt line and spool edge, obviously the retrieval rate will initially decrease the deeper I am fishing.

As the title of the thread suggests, this was my first wrecking trip and my reels were just not up to the job. I borrowed a modern Shimano (all of the other anglers on the boat were using different models of Shimano with lever drags) that had a better retrieve rate. Although right hand wind it made my day a lot easier than struggling with my 624. I also loved the lever drag system.

The Avet MXL is actually a small reel, perfectly matched in line class to the 20-30lb rod and weighs about the same as an Abu 7000 (18oz).

Most of the wrecking from the harbours I fish from are, unfortunately in St. Georges Channel and at about 300' Tides can run a bit quickly as well. There is some reef fishing to be had in shallower waters and some of the general bottom fishing is in much shallower water where my trusty old Mitchells will be fine.

I'm of the pump and wind school of anglers so the relatively high retrieve rate shouldn't be an issue as regards rod integrity................anyway I have to find something to spend my windfall on, NPower have been taking money out of my bank for a house I don't live in! B)

I almost forgot, it's a good casting reel as well so almost multi-functional!

Edited by Worms