Searching waters in the close season

Dan Dan

Hey there guys,

As you know it's the close season for rivers and canals, and now the weather's warmed the waters up a bit it's a great time to go fish spotting and planning where to put your first cast into the new season.

I've not fished the Thames since I was a wee lad, and because I have limited transport (a moped >_<) I've not really had a proper chance to get to know the river again.

I live in Addlestone, which is near Weybridge. A part of the river runs through behind Weybridge and on through Walton up to Hamptop Court. Now Hampton court would be a bit far to go on a ped with all my gear, but along that nice flat bit by Walton bridge I can see myself having a nice session. Has anyone had any experience along here, or know whether it's a free/day ticket stretch? What sort of fish holding areas are there and whats the best way to attempt fishing it.

Also interested in cheapish day ticket/free secret ponds (fat chance) in the local area.

Many thanks, Dan

I found it. :headhurt:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Dan, as you now live in the Hampton court area look for the Royal parks fishing permits and see if they still include the Long water in the Court itself a wonderful place to fish.

If you know Summer road, just off the road the leads to the scilly isles roundabout, at the end of the road is or was a ford that crosses the River Mole, now in the olden days :lol: You could fish about twenty yards either side of the ford FOC and there were some big chub and lovely Roach to be had.

It may be worthwhile having a look, if i were you as you walk down Summer road from the rugby club knock on each house door on your right hand side and ask if you could fish there back garden if one says yes you have a great result an unfished section of a brilliant tributary of the Thames.

Tell us how you get on.

Regards.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Hey there guys,

As you know it's the close season for rivers and canals, and now the weather's warmed the waters up a bit it's a great time to go fish spotting and planning where to put your first cast into the new season.

I've not fished the Thames since I was a wee lad, and because I have limited transport (a moped >_<) I've not really had a proper chance to get to know the river again.

I live in Addlestone, which is near Weybridge. A part of the river runs through behind Weybridge and on through Walton up to Hamptop Court. Now Hampton court would be a bit far to go on a ped with all my gear, but along that nice flat bit by Walton bridge I can see myself having a nice session. Has anyone had any experience along here, or know whether it's a free/day ticket stretch? What sort of fish holding areas are there and whats the best way to attempt fishing it.

Also interested in cheapish day ticket/free secret ponds (fat chance) in the local area.

Many thanks, Dan

theres hundreds of "secret" ponds out there ,just browse a map and ask a farmer ,most will say their aint no fish in thar but you will be very surprised that most do! i found a nasty very black little pond walking once ,full of rudd some big as well ,when i moved to folkestone we fished scores of ponds with "no fish in" most had fish in,even roadside ponds that used to be for horse drinking or steam wagon filling in the past could be almost overgrown but still contain fish ;)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

theres hundreds of "secret" ponds out there ,just browse a map and ask a farmer ,most will say their aint no fish in thar but you will be very surprised that most do! i found a nasty very black little pond walking once ,full of rudd some big as well ,when i moved to folkestone we fished scores of ponds with "no fish in" most had fish in,even roadside ponds that used to be for horse drinking or steam wagon filling in the past could be almost overgrown but still contain fish ;)

Guess it's worth purchasing an ordanance survey map of the area then!

Thanks medway, where was the topic lol? I only have a little moped to get around on, although I love travelling light for quick river sessions, I was wondering about a bit closer to home for longer sessions on the bank. I will definately check out Hampton Court though, I want to crack 2lb on a roach and 3lb on perch these next couple of seasons so that would be a great place to start!