Hair rigs for chub?

fishfinder

My local river has some huge chub that I wouldn't mind trying to catch. can anyone advise me on whether to use a hair rig or just to hook the bait straight onto the hook.

I heard from somewhere that if I hair rigged a bait then i would not catch any chub.

My local river has some huge chub that I wouldn't mind trying to catch. can anyone advise me on whether to use a hair rig or just to hook the bait straight onto the hook.

I heard from somewhere that if I hair rigged a bait then i would not catch any chub.

Hi Fishfinder,

I think chub and hair rigs don't usually work that well, especially if they are fished for a lot. I believe barbel anglers actuallt use hair rigs to AVOID chub!

Rich

I've caught loads of chub whilst hair rigging baits intended for barbel so my advice would be to give it a try and see what happens.

What baits do you want to use? That's the first question!

Tony Miles has written about catching big chub on hair rigged baits when barbel fishing, but no small ones. Perhaps when a chub gets to a certain physical size they're more prone to getting hooked on a hair rig. I've never felt the need to use a hair rig, but then I've never used pellets or boilies...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm not a big fan of hair rigging baits for chub as they tend to be "lip feeders" and most of those sharp wraps on the tip usually mean no fish and the bait long gone. I prefer to put the hook in the bait to minimise missed bites , pellets are bait banded on and meat and sweetcorn on the hook proper

I'm not a big fan of hair rigging baits for chub as they tend to be "lip feeders" and most of those sharp wraps on the tip usually mean no fish and the bait long gone. I prefer to put the hook in the bait to minimise missed bites , pellets are bait banded on and meat and sweetcorn on the hook proper

Yep i'll second that.

If you are going to fish boilie or pellet for chub you need them tight to the hook. A very short hair will work, but i just find bands easier (for pellets). Banded pellet can work well on the float to.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Isaac Walton described the chub as being the most fearful of fish(possibly the lip feeding ones you mentioned)very large old wise ones.Some of the chub i have caught however(especially the ones on the river Trent)must have the lips in the back of their throat as that's where my hair rigged baits have ended up..I suppose it depends on the river you are fishing..

I caught what I believe to be a 7lb chub the other night on a hair rigged luncheon meat.

I used a short hair because I was having problems with the meat coming off in the current - I was catching nothign previously, whether this is down to the bait coming off all the time, or the hair rig being more effective at hooking I dont know.

I wish I'd weighed the fish, I have a pic though - anyone wanna guess for me? ;)

Isaac Walton described the chub as being the most fearful of fish(possibly the lip feeding ones you mentioned)very large old wise ones.Some of the chub i have caught however(especially the ones on the river Trent)must have the lips in the back of their throat as that's where my hair rigged baits have ended up..I suppose it depends on the river you are fishing..

Yes, they earn their reputation of being the most fearful of fishes. However, if they have been undisturbed and are not feeling suspicious about anything, they are a voracious feeder and will often bite quite savagely. However, not only do they become suspicious of people, they do so of baits and they begin to be taking them more hesitantly. When this happens it is often the time to look at using a different bait or presenting it in a different way.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.