The Ashes....

awaaar

Come on then cricket fans, with the first England Vs Australia game kicking off tonight (20/20) whats your thoughts on how this years Ashes will pan out?..

IMO - we haven't just got a team that can match them this summer, or a team that can beat them. We have a team that has the potential to DESTROY this lot, and a good first test match against some of these old timers would do wonders for our confidence.....

Well.......I can dream can't can't I?

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning Awaar

I have the same dreams as well mate, we just gotta take it to them otherwise they will get on top of us, Beefy Botham won't be the only legend after this series, bring on Freddie!!! :D

Keep it reel!!

awaaar:

Come on then cricket fans, with the first England Vs Australia game kicking off tonight (20/20) whats your thoughts on how this years Ashes will pan out?..

Thanks for that! I had forgotten! However, as it is on TV from 12.15am I think that I will record it! :)

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Guest jay_con

They have potential - The English that is. Wether or not they can fulfill that potential we will just have to wait and see.

bryan:

Morning Awaar

I have the same dreams as well mate, we just gotta take it to them otherwise they will get on top of us, Beefy Botham won't be the only legend after this series, bring on Freddie!!!   :D  

Perhaps if they had put Botham in charge of the English team some years ago, you would probably be in a better challenging position than you are.

Is it true that the majority of English schools no longer have cricket on their sports programmes? If so that is a bad omen for the future. Kids here are fanatical about cricket and I frequently see teams of kids smaller than a full sized bat all decked out in whites playing as though they are already playing for Oz. There are plenty of opportunities for those who shine to be noticed, but competition for a place in the Aussie team is ferocious. Some rotation is practiced in various games but to win a place in the Aussie team on bebut they have to perform as Michael Clarke did.

Obviously the Aussie's time will come to an end at some stage, but it will take a team to knock them off their pedestal - not one or two stars. The reason for Australia's success is its depth in all facets of the game and in particular the fielding. Good fielding frustrates all batsmen and frustrated batsmen make mistakes.

I am sure that it will be a great series though and I know that I am eagerly anticipating it. Naturally I think and hope that Australia will win the series, but I hope that England can rise to the occasion and take at least one match - but no more than two! :) Tonight's game should be fun!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Hi Chevin,

Unfortunalty what you say is true, cricket is not the most popular game in schools, football is and probably always will be, I have a 12 year son who until 4 weeks ago had never picked up a bat let alone bowl a ball, which is a real shame, I believe we are some way behind Oz in sporting abilities and certainly need more help form the government, gee even some people over here dont want the Olympics, why???????? :P

Keep it reel!!

"Obviously the Aussie's time will come to an end at some stage, but it will take a team to knock them off their pedestal - not one or two stars. The reason for Australia's success is its depth in all facets of the game and in particular the fielding. Good fielding frustrates all batsmen and frustrated batsmen make mistakes."

Chevin - that is exactly why I am soo optimistic - we have a TEAM, who will literally die for each other...the Aussies on the other hand are the ones with one or two ageing stars this time..and I for one fully BELIEVE our poms will walk

through them...not just beat them, but crush them

bring it on - and you can forget all about Botham - we now have the one and only Freddie Flintoff, and he ain't followin' nobodys footsteps but his own....

Ing-er-land!

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

awaaar:

Chevin - that is exactly why I am soo optimistic - we have a TEAM, who will literally die for each other... and you can forget all about Botham - we now have the one and only Freddie Flintoff, and he ain't followin' nobodys footsteps but his own....

Ing-er-land!

Yes, your team is working well, but it hasn't yet proved its self as a team in the field and that is where it counts. Fielding is far more important than many teams seem to think. Every run saved is one that doesn't have to be scored.

It may be possible to forget Botham now, but if he had been given the job of putting a good English team together five or six years ago, Flintoff might have a much better start than he has now.

In the way things go in sport, England playing at home might well win the series, but crush the Aussies? I doubt it! I think that you put too much store in the oldies you mention. The oldies are there for a purpose - we have plenty of good young players, but we are also able to play top "oldies" who are able to guide the younger players through their International apprentiships. It's a valuable combination!

"but crush the Aussies? I doubt it!"

We'll see about that! - my money is where my mouth is, I've backed them at 4-1 to win the series....

Michael Vaughan's barmy army!

(no doubt this thread will re-surface when we are 3-0 down in the series, again! :( )

- WC Fields