HD Partitioning?

Chris Goddard

Yes, right!! I have two drives and one is a 40Gb C: drive t'other is a 320Gb I: drive! Now the C: is ALWAYS running on full! And the I: drive is always at or around 50/60Gb. Can I install a partition on the I: drive and then copy the content of C: drive to it and then rename the drive C: and n.e.other and then use the 40GB drive which is at present C: as a back up drive?

Basically I need to use the I: drive as my c: drive and don't want to lose anything!! Well most of it! But I do have a lot of stuff which has over the years and months become detritus!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• 2 weeks later...

pop over to maxtors site and download "maxblast" it will clone your small disk onto your big one perfectly .

you cannot manually make any drive drive C if its the boot drive ,maxblast does this for you at reboot .

it will complain your drive isnt a maxtor one if it isnt on starting it but grudgingly carry on.

make sure anything worth saving is saved but i use it at every drive upgrade and to date its been faultless

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

i see maxtors seagate now!

i would partition the big drive into say 3 equal partitions leaving one clean for the cloning which will be your drive C on rebooting with windows installed in it

if your big drives already partitioned you have more of a problem but you can make new partitions (for the cloning) if you wish by using third party software if your drives full of functioning partitions ,if not allocate unused space in disk manager

me myself if the big drive is already partitioned is to buy a new drive ,partition it in windows then clone the small drive then use the old big drive as backup and chuck the 40 gig in the bin.

boot up on the small drive with the new shiny drive as slave then go to disk manager and set up the partitions then run maxblast making your new drive "C". The problem will come when you put back the 320gig as slave as windows will get muddled over your partition letters but all can be sorted in diskmanager so they are in the right places for windows to look for where to start the installed programs

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I like Partition Magic

It is well worth the $70. Bullet proof & easy to use.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

i thought he was on about partitioning as well and went into a lengthy and no doubt rambling way of using Easeus to move or make partitions bigger.

as i was about to post i realised the drive was full so he was wanting a way to clone it into a bigger drive but i suppose both methods are needed.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Dave, Newt THANK you! As usual you have come up trumps! Sorry been a little tawdry in replying! But had to find a copy of said programme! Turns out young man up the road a ways has just such a thing!! So he is going to let me TRY before I buy!! :P

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

And try I have and Newt you didn't QUITE explain it properly did you?? IT's EASY PEASY LEMON SQEEZY!!!

Lets put it this way for all you watchers out there? I installed it and did the deed and all in around 5 minutes!! This programme is SO simple and of course BOMB proof I reckon a 2 year old could use it!! Well OK I am really working with the brain of a 3 year old at times when computers are involved! So a 2 year old would most likely be able to! It is so easy I could not quite believe it!

Now to master the Chesters1 programme and CLONE my hard drive!

THANKS GUYS!! :)

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

clonings easy maxblast does the hard work.

you cant actually do it yourself as even manually cloning your dive to the new one wont make it a bootable drive as you cant change the new drive letter to C: windows will not allow 2 drive C:s on the PC even for a short time until you reboot.

maxblast does it for you at boot up your old drive letter C: is changed to the next available one once your new drive has been allocated as C:

remember just in case to transfer your settings etc via windows built in dooda (a DVD will be fine to put them on) and your cookies,favourites and mail just incase it goes tits up but touch wood its been fine for me in the past

Thanks Dave!

Chris Goddard

BULLOCKS!!! I obtained a copy and as stated did the deed with the partitioning. NO PROBLEMS!! So why is Windows now showing the drive as being with 101Gb of space, yet and though it IS partitioned at 101GB it is also showing some 67.6GB of space being used?? there is NO space being used at all! And that space does not show on any of the other two partitions on the disc?? And now the easus will not allow me to copy the c: drive to this partition as it is showing part of it used?

WTF??

Any ideas please ??

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

BULLOCKS!!! I obtained a copy and as stated did the deed with the partitioning. NO PROBLEMS!! So why is Windows now showing the drive as being with 101Gb of space, yet and though it IS partitioned at 101GB it is also showing some 67.6GB of space being used?? there is NO space being used at all! And that space does not show on any of the other two partitions on the disc?? And now the easus will not allow me to copy the c: drive to this partition as it is showing part of it used?

WTF??

Any ideas please ??

hmmm perhaps the allocation is wrong ,go to (i use classic view )"start"..."settings"...."control panel"...."administrative tools"..."computer management"..."disk management".

you can then look at the drive and allocate drive letters ,format etc ,remember you cannot allocate a drive as C: it can only exist once .

make sure your looking at the right drive .

if theres unallocated space you can fiddle with partitions if theres nothing on the drive .

i would (its up to you ofcourse) have 3 equal partitions but remember to make them start after the DVD drive (if you have one disk its C: and the DVD will probably be D:) so i would letter the 3 partitions E F G and clone C: into E: (which will change to C: using maxblast) then you may have to make sure once your new drive is in that the DVD letter is still the original one it had using disk manager.

it sounds more complicated than it really is but if your not 100% sure then get help.

easus is really for managing partitions on drives with data on but if your drive is empty then use windows to partition and format each partition you make

Edited by chesters1