MCZ Proposals

Leon Roskilly

Your one, according to me the bast@rds are proposing complete protection, again that can only mean one thing, surly? If you look closly at your link, the yes please box is already highlighted. How many are going to change to the no thanks box. It's an already loaded answer.

That's why I think it is unlikely to be given designation as a HPMA (Highly Protected Marine Area) but would more likely be given a designation as a Multiple-use Marine Protected Area.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/j...e/159/15908.htm

The majority of MCZs will be multiple use marine protected areas, although the policy paper states that where stringent conservation objectives are set, the MCZ will be a highly protected marine reserve (HPMR).

If a mussel bed fulfils the requirements for "stringent conservation objectives" I'll put my new reel on Ebay now B)

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called information sharing H A until tonight i didn't realise what the mcz really ment, until i have actually read between the lines. Unless i am under the influence of drink or drugs, my interpretaion is that the mcs are proposing to target anglers as well.

Steve Coppolo, do us a favour pretty please, as i know you paid your membership to the AT this year, can you enquire as to what they are going to do. Will it be a rear guard action for example?

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

That's why I think it is unlikely to be given designation as a HPMA (Highly Protected Marine Area) but would more likely be given a designation as a Multiple-use Marine Protected Area.

If a mussel bed fulfils the requirements for "stringent conservation objectives" I'll put my new reel on Ebay now B)

I'm trying really hard here. The mcs proposels state that all the areas they put forward are classed as the 'jewels in the crown'. What does that tell you, that they want done to the areas?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

It's called information sharing H A until tonight i didn't realise what the mcz really ment, until i have actually read between the lines. Unless i am under the influence of drink or drugs, my interpretaion is that the mcs are proposing to target anglers as well.

Steve Coppolo, do us a favour pretty please, as i know you paid your membership to the AT this year, can you enquire as to what they are going to do. Will it be a rear guard action for example?

All I know, Barry, is they have someone on the case. Nothing can be sorted out before it has been decided, at the end of this month, who sits on the stakeholders groups that will be formed. Having said that, the silence from the AT - regarding MCZ's and the proposals from the likes of the MCS and RSPB - is deafening. But then what can you expect when some of their high profile supporters and advisors are openly in favour of licencing and restricting sea anglers, anyway? My advice would be, go along to your local MCZ stakeholder meeting and try to get a place on the stakeholder group. Then, if you are successful, argue like f*ck for them to leave us alone. Tell them what you want them to hear.

If you think the confusion over highly protected marine areas and multiple use MPA's is bad, consider this. Even if sea angling is allowed to continue in multiple use MPA's or in the 'buffer zones' around HPMA's, under what conditions will that be? This is where the RSA strategy was such a disaster. You'll remember some of the proposed measures contained within it, including recommendations relating to anchoring, lead weights, fish handling, hook size, insurance, etc, etc. Then, to quantify the impact that anglers may or may not have on fish stocks, there will probably be log books, licences, either bag limits or no take, and possibly close seasons when migratory fish move into the area.

I don't have a solution to the mess we are in, but I know that we would be in a much stronger position if we teamed up with the under 10m boys.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

There would be quite an advantage if we could form liasons with the under ten static gear men as I think we share many of the same concerns if not values but it would'nt be in the interests of the RSA to include within that liason the "super tens" who trawl as they are as powerful as much more bigger boats and carry rock hopping gear

Static gear men have never had an easy working relationship with their much bigger trawling keel boat cousins regardless what some might tell you so would make comfortable partners to work with in relation to fishing ground that holds either fish or shellfish

So what do you, Steve, Wurzel, and 'Worms' too, intend to do about your gripes.

Go and have a 5 hours stint of so-called 'cod fishing' or cast your nets ....

come back with suggestions instead of constant bluddy 'MOANING'!!!!.

<_<

I've contacted MCS to see what their views on angling are, also implying that singing from the same hymn sheet might have greater benefits for all. In the meantime I'm scouring the legislation that I'm familiar with to see if their are any precedents or similar that we can use if the worse case scanario arises.

The others, may or may not be doing anything constructive (Barry has also contacted the MCS) but at least we have some sort of dialogue flowing now which is a lot more constructive than a day ago!

Do you have any other useful suggestions H.A.?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Of interest to those down in the South-West

The next Finding Sanctuary drop in days will be held at:

§ Exmouth, 18 November, 10am – 8pm Elizabeth Hall, Exmouth Seafront, Exmouth, EX8 2BA

§ Ilfracombe, 26 November 10am – 8pm Ilfracombe Yacht Club, The Quay, Ilfracombe, EX34 9EQ

Further drop in days are being planned for Dartmouth, Bude, Weymouth and Plymouth.

For further information contact Joana Smith, Finding Sanctuary, Tel: 01392 878328 / 07968 434108

Email: joana.smith@southwestfoodanddrink.com

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I've contacted MCS to see what their views on angling are, also implying that singing from the same hymn sheet might have greater benefits for all. In the meantime I'm scouring the legislation that I'm familiar with to see if their are any precedents or similar that we can use if the worse case scanario arises.

The others, may or may not be doing anything constructive (Barry has also contacted the MCS) but at least we have some sort of dialogue flowing now which is a lot more constructive than a day ago!

Do you have any other useful suggestions H.A.?

It's not really the MCS that you need to be getting involved with, though. They are just another stakeholder, from what I can make out. The list of areas on their website is just their wish list. You might just as well contact the RSPB and talk to them about sea angling as the MCS.

I haven't seen RSA's wish list. Perhaps we should start putting one together?

I propose the Defra building, in London, as a HPMA. It should be locked up, left alone and forgetten. Or, better still, towed out to sea and scuttled to make a new reef. Preferably, somewhere in the southern ocean.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

It's not really the MCS that you need to be getting involved with, though. They are just another stakeholder, from what I can make out. The list of areas on their website is just their wish list. You might just as well contact the RSPB and talk to them about sea angling as the MCS.

Yes I realise that the MCS list is a wishlist, it's just an off-chance e-mail to see if there's any common ground. You never know they might just lump all 'fishermen' together, commercial and RSA. Clarifying a few points might help!

I haven't seen RSA's wish list. Perhaps we should start putting one together?

I couldn't agree more. Making use of skippers' knowledge of areas and the anglers' 'constant vigilance' might not be a bad way of presenting a statement. The only major stumbling block is contacting all the anglers. Perhaps charter skippers might be useful sources as they will probably have contact details of regular clubs etc.?