cork handles

ed the ted

No, cork is a strange thing, it both absorbs and repels moisture but keeps itself at a natural balance which is why it works so well. I own somewhere in the region of thirty cork handled fly rods, many 70 or more years old. The only one that I have ever had to re-cork was one that had been varnished.........it had dried out and crumbled to dust when I tried to strip the varnish!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Ed, A far as I know you should never seal a cork handle. Stops them breathing. I've never sealed any of my rod handles, course, sea or fly and I've never had one fail (even on the poorer grades of rod and I've had a few).

The only thing I've only been told to do, if you have a really shabby handle, is to lightly sand it and fill it if you need to. Don't ask me for the correct filler, as I've not had to do that either.

I may have been lucky (I don't know really). The only thing that I do to all my rods is to wipe them down at the end of the session and use the cloth bags that they come with. Oh and leave the end cap off of any rod tube I'm using, if the weather has been phishwarring it down when I store the rod.

I hope this help.

Tight lines.

squibs

Forgot to add that you lose grip on a sealed wet cork handle as well. Not something that is handy with a costly rod.

squibs

Edited by squibs
Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

No, cork is a strange thing, it both absorbs and repels moisture but keeps itself at a natural balance which is why it works so well. I own somewhere in the region of thirty cork handled fly rods, many 70 or more years old. The only one that I have ever had to re-cork was one that had been varnished.........it had dried out and crumbled to dust when I tried to strip the varnish!

Thank You to Squibs- Worms and Chuby, I wil do as you all suggest and leave the cork handle

as it is. I will also leave rod bag and tube open after wet conditions.

Never joined a "forum" oof any kind before but your comments and advice have encouraged

me greatly

Ed .The Ted

The only exception to the rule about sealing cork handles was when someone gave me a cork handled feeder rod which had a touch of mildew on it. I forget who it was on AN who gave the advice, but I used some soapy water, then fine grained sand paper adn a VERY light coating of castor oil. It restored the handle as if it was new.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

The only exception to the rule about sealing cork handles was when someone gave me a cork handled feeder rod which had a touch of mildew on it. I forget who it was on AN who gave the advice, but I used some soapy water, then fine grained sand paper adn a VERY light coating of castor oil. It restored the handle as if it was new.

Another cork handle problem is when they dry and shrink if they have been kept in, say, air-conditioned or centrally heated rooms. The cork shrinks and the reel bands may not hold the reel securely. There is a fix, it's strange but true!

Dig out your favourite blowlamp from the garage, fire it up and play it on the cork. It may flame but don't be too alarmed. Blow out the flames and continue over the entire handle then let it cool. Check the reel fit. If it needs more repeat the process. Finally when a good fit is achieved follow Alan's advice on the sanding and oiling (although I find almost any vegetable oil will do and rapeseed is much cheaper than castor oil!). Don't be tempted to use wire wool on cork as the cork balls up ( :blink: ) in the wire wool and causes ridges to form. The heating trick may work with a hot air paint stripping gun but I haven't tried that one yet.................The same trick works for cork seals in old petrol taps etc.!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!