Seat box problem

Dick Dastardly

I can live with the tops of the legs being close to my legs.Yes a longer frame would sort out that problem but still the issue of the sloping box sides which causes the the frame to not sit in a true vertical position exists. This is what causes the legs to not be upright.The "wedge" shaped spacer solves both problems, I'm pretty sure that once Ive measured and drawn up these spacers Tinca will be able to do it.

It was really down to the material to be used and the equipment/tools required to produce it that I was worried about. Metal would certainly be strongest but for me hardest to machine,plastic ideal but no way of moulding it or machining/cutting a block (if available) it.The wood is certainly the easiest to shape,obtain,tools available but I was concerned over strength.

I reckon though that the oak as Tinca suggested would be strong enough as it doesn't actually take any of the weight as such .Of course the wider the spacer I suppose the more strain it would place on the area the holes are drilled in the box but I will have to try this and accept it if it does go!

Still open for further sugestions though! Once Ive had time to measure up and draw a diagram I will post it on here so you can see exactly what I mean.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah that drawing helps me explain Den. The problem is that the slope on the box is the opposite way.It slopes out from the bottom to the top. This obviously means the legs are splayed out to the top and closer at the bottom which causes the weakness.

Thanks for all the input so far and the kind offers as well gents.

I would be wary of making spacers to wide/thick. Unless the surface area is increased then there will be a much bigger increase in stress where the bolts fit the box.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Bruv - I still got some Aluminium square tubing when I still make my spare brackets to my requirement. I will bring it down with me, on the next time I see you (when ever) and work something on it or you can try other suggestions.

But I am still concern as Den suggested this "the surface area is increased then there will be a much bigger increase in stress where the bolts fit the box."

But mind you if the box do go (fall apart when you sit on it) :P then you have got the reinforcement seat frame to play with! ;):P

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Using Dens sugestion the spacers wouldnt have to be that thick at all to be able to mount the longer bars in the correct position.If Plan 1 looks a bit iffy then I will re think and go with his sugestion. Plan 1 is the easiest so I will try that first.

Regardless of the persons size or the length of legs used anyone who has fitted an Octoplus main frame to a Daiwa box will have come against this problem so I still dont understand why a simple injection moulded spacer has never been produced.Maybe not so popular these days but in their heyday most matchmen had a Shakey or Daiwa box with an Octoplus kit fitted. Or did they all simply ditch the Daiwa box when they found out and go buy Shakey ones!

Budgie if you are going for long legs you really need an inch of clearance at the top of the leg to get your attachments on, which might mean you would need to stand off 3" at the bottom. This would like you say put a lot of stress of the box walls and for that reason i think Dens way is better, but you would still need something like the tapered things Gozzer came up with to stop the legs sloping. Things like side trays don't work well if the legs slope.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Using Dens sugestion the spacers wouldnt have to be that thick at all to be able to mount the longer bars in the correct position.If Plan 1 looks a bit iffy then I will re think and go with his sugestion. Plan 1 is the easiest so I will try that first.

Regardless of the persons size or the length of legs used anyone who has fitted an Octoplus main frame to a Daiwa box will have come against this problem so I still dont understand why a simple injection moulded spacer has never been produced.Maybe not so popular these days but in their heyday most matchmen had a Shakey or Daiwa box with an Octoplus kit fitted. Or did they all simply ditch the Daiwa box when they found out and go buy Shakey ones!

Long legs still hit the sides on my Shakey box because of the step out half way up.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Things like side trays don't work well if the legs slope.

Exactly the problem Brian! I can fit all of the attachment arms on as it is at the moment but as you say every thing is sloping due to the supporting legs (regardless of leg length) not being up right.

Before asking anyone to make something though I'm going to try a couple of "mock ups" first to check angles and clearances but the actual test of fitting a finished product will be the only way I can see off seeing if the actual box walls will be strong enough.

I'm going careful here not to go to deep into the solution as although the many kind offers Ive had certainly keep the cost and effort down its more of a project to use old existing items I have.If a cheap simple solution isn't possible then I would simply go get a Shakespeare box and just swap everything over on to it. Just have this thing about "re cycling" stuff or improving it rather than just replacing!