Fly rods and line

orduna

Hi everyone. Last night I invited our new neighbours in for a Xmas drink and within minutes we were talking about fishing. This morning the neighbour brought around 4 fly rods (all different sizes), 5 assorted loaded reels and various bits and pieces which her son had left behind when he emigrated to Hong Kong. :o

None of the rods have an AFTM rating above the handle, but I can probably roughly sort out the rating of the rods by size (I suppose size does count?). The fly lines are another problem as they all look the same. From the distant past I can recall someone mentioning weighing the first 10 feet, yards, or metres??? can indicate the AFTM of the line?

Please could anyone kindly point me in the right direction for sorting and matching rod to line? Many, many thanks.

Steve, Many thanks. But what is a grain? <_<

However, I got the idea and found another AFTM table in grams and ounces. I have an accurate digital scale, but apart from cutting off the 30ft is this another way of weighing. I suppose I could weigh the whole fly line and then just calculate the first 30ft?

Steve, Many thanks. But what is a grain? <_<

However, I got the idea and found another AFTM table in grams and ounces. I have an accurate digital scale, but apart from cutting off the 30ft is this another way of weighing. I suppose I could weigh the whole fly line and then just calculate the first 30ft?

7,000 grains to the pound, something under 440 to the ounce off the top of my head!

You should be able to get a rough idea of the weight by measuring the first 30' without cutting it by marking it at 30', putting it in your scales and taking the weight of the rest of it in your hand. Weighing the whole thing and subtracting the rest won't help because you won't necessarily know what the tapers are e.g double taper (should be the same both ends but may have been trimmed), Weight forward, much heavier at the leader end than the backing end!

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I think Yorkio has got it about right. The AFTMA is only a guide at the best of times. Most fly rods will take a line at least one weight higher or lower and a lot depends on the individual's casting style. Some people aerialise a lot of line, others aerialise less line and rely on the "shoot" for distance.

The best weight of line to use for a particular rod is the one that works best for you.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Thank you for all your replies. The reason for seeking advice is that the rods range from a 7.5ft `brook' rod to a mighty 10.5ft resevoir thrasher, but the five fly lines all look the same! I know a heavy line on a light rod could cause damage and this was the reason for my initial post. I will try an weigh the lines and match to a rod, and then out into the garden for some tentative casting.