Feeding a pool after session

Noggin

First off, I would like to say a big hello to everyone as this is my first post :)

I recently joined a fishing club which has a small membership of 30 (no day tickets). There are two smallish main pools to fish, stocked with carp, tench, roach , perch, bream, gudgeon etc . The carp go up to about 18lb.

I usually float fish with either pole or rod and also set up a rod for surface fishing as the carp are very active surface feeders.

My question relates to when I finish my session. Is it considered ok to throw in all my remaining bread bait as freebies when I've finished. I work in a large plant bakery so I do take loads of bread with me when I fish. I dont think I will be spoiling the fishing for other members as I usually go midweek and never see anybody else fish there? I was more concerned that large amounts of bread may be detrimental to a fishes diet? Does it also attract undesirable birds to the pools?

To my way of thinking I would say that it would help make the fish more comfortable with surface baits and help them pile on the pounds...

Noggin.

Welcome Noggin.

Small pool. Lots of bread. No don't throw it in as it just going to rot and attract a load of birds. Noting wrong with putting in say half a loafs worth of crust to get them used to it, but that's all I'd put in.

Hi Noggin! We also have a Russian member called Noggin only I think he only uses one G.

Two schools of thought on this one. One is you are fattening the wee beasties up for everyones advantage. Two is you are feeding 'em up so they won't want other folks bait!

The attraction of birds is a problem! A real problem. It's down to their droppings enriching the water and encouraging excess weed growth that reduces oxygen levels.

hi noggin :D

i'd go with what lid has said too much bread may not be to healthy,just put out a few crusts out as you leave,could help you to keep em taking bread,less with hooks they find the better, just dont go piling it in mate.surface fishing is fun, how big ya had them to noggin?

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Thanks for the replies guys

I will certainly refrain from turning the pool into a big sandwich from now on :D

Ratty, the biggest carp I have had off the surface is about 10lbs, although I have no scales so it is a guesstimate :P It is fun to watch the carp take a surface bait but it kinda feels a bit unfair to me and I much prefer watching a float go under.

nice size mate,why do think its unfair?its not the easiest way to fish,but its exciting! even just watching the dark shapes cruising dorsal breaking the surface,slurp....slurp....slurp water explodes oops hook in that one

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I feel it's a tad unfair because it's just so easy to catch them! I use a great big bankstick and have my rod standing at about 80 degrees so that the bread bait just sits on the surface with no line touching the water. The breadbait is sitting in the margins surrounded by freebies, eh presto, carp hooked.

My guilt probably derives from the fact that I have only in the last year got back into angling. My dad used to take me many years ago when we used to sit on those strange baskets and fish with fibreglass rods. He used to take me to places like Westport Lake (a very big lake in Staffordshire) and by god you had to work hard to catch a fish. It aint like that these days but those early days stay embedded in my mind for some reason?

I also take my young son with me now and he asks questions about the harm done to the fish. He's not yet a fully converted angler and recently saw an interview with Morrissey who stated that fish scream when they get hooked? I love the sport (I've fished three days out of the last four) but if my son decided to become anti fishing I would respect his decision. Sorry if I've gone a bit off-topic there

there's a lot of stuff on here re fish feeling pain, look up threads by bruno broughton, he's one of this countries top fisheries experts, as far as things go, i'd happily stake everything i own on his views being right.

there is scientific research for and against, but most of the writing saying that fish feel pain has been based on a report which has been discredited time and again.

As to fishing floaters being cheating....you don't have to struggle to catch fish, it's just the great feeling you get when you catch a monster from a hard water, rather than on one which you view as easy, is even better. Saying that once fish wise up to floating baits it can get hard to entice them on to baits which have a hook attached.

finally get yourself some scales and a weigh sling, we all guestimate, but it's easier if you've actually weighed fish to base your guestimate on.

tight lines and best of look with your fishing, oh and welcome to AN>

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY