Travel Uptide Rods

Rustam Bana

Other than the Abu Conolon Pro Travel uptide rod are there any other that are currently available?

How would you rate the Abu Conolon Pro Travel uptide rod.

Its the only one AFAIK We have a pair

We rate them highly - My wife and I use them for river fish such as mahseer, big barramundi, etc as well as for uptiding. Have just been using one for Murray Cod, but alas it remained untested - no bites!

My only gripe is the travel case is a bit on the heavy side - especially with the weight restrictions that airlines impose nowadays.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Other than the Abu Conolon Pro Travel uptide rod are there any other that are currently available?

How would you rate the Abu Conolon Pro Travel uptide rod.

Thanks.

Rustam

<_< We're rather short changed with travel uptide rods, most firms do travel boat and travel beach rods but this is the only travel uptide rod I know of. <_<

Many thanks for the replies.

Other than Mainwarnings, are there any other online shops I can get one from?

Vagabond, just out of interest, what was the largest mahseer to have tested this rod to date?

Cheers.

Vagabond, just out of interest, what was the largest mahseer to have tested this rod to date?

Fifteen pounds. Hooked it at the tail of a pool, and it tried to get down the rapids. Big roaring rapids of the sort the Cauvery is notorious for. I didn't want to have to follow it if I could avoid it, so put a LOT of pressure on and stopped the fish stone dead at the head of the rapids. Lugged it back into the pool, and didn't let it get out again. That was the only sizeable mahseer I hooked in five days fishing, (although plenty of smaller ones up to about eight pounds) so perhaps not much of a test, but I would be very confident of the rod handling much bigger fish.

More to the point, the rod casts well, it will put a lump of ragi paste, or a chilwa, as far as you need. BTW I use it with a Penn 535 multiplier

I did try a Conolon on Tigerfish, but found I was overgunned (bumped a fish or two off rather than hooking them) so soon changed to a lighter rod (TF Journeyman)

Perhaps Norma and I should use the Conolons for real uptiding in the UK and test them out on tope, but as we have three two-piece uptiders, the Conolons stay in their cases except for trips abroad.

RNLI Governor

Perhaps Norma and I should use the Conolons for real uptiding in the UK and test them out on tope, but as we have three two-piece uptiders, the Conolons stay in their cases except for trips abroad.

Slightly off topic but what's your favourite "standard" uptider?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

More to the point, the rod casts well, it will put a lump of ragi paste, or a chilwa, as far as you need.

I am glad you mentioned that, as that was the question I forgot to ask. I will be using an Abu 7000.

Tony U: Thanks for the link. It certainly is a lot more affordable and if I come across a few good reports, it would definitely be a contender.

Thanks for the replies.

Rustam

Slightly off topic but what's your favourite "standard" uptider?

We have a pair of ABU two-piece uptiders which we usually use, for downtiding as well, and I have a two piece Conoflex, which is a lovely rod, except that it has a short butt and long top, which for some reason always irritates me and means I always pick up the ABUs when we pack the campervan before a trip (I have a Shimano beachcaster with the same inbalance in length between the joints and very rarely use it )

Why I dislike rods that have joints of differing lengths I know not - although I tolerate the short butt and two cane joints of my Kennet Perfection river rod.

RNLI Governor

Rustam

Its not an uptidwer but I use a Greys popper twin tip for big stuff in Cuba, I know a lot of guys use it on the Ebre (Ebro) for the big cats its three piece and would be an intersting alternnative, the lighter tip certainly would not be overgunning it for Mahseer.

Also Glasgow angling do a nice five piece heavy spinning rod that might suit look here for details: http://www.fishingmegastore.com/view.php?m...mp;productID=42

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.