Barbel Fishing Reels

Elton

I use the shimano 5000 gte's and the 5010's but I've just got some of the shimano DL 2500 mini baitrunners today. I've not used them yet but they look and feel great.

Hi Tigger,

Those scaled down baitrunners sound very interesting. Any chance of you doing a little product review for everyone on Anglers Net. (Once you've had a chance to try them out)

Or has anyone else already tried their's.

Tight Lines

Jeff

I use a shimano with a fighting drag, just love it for my barbel fishing as you have easy control over the tension which can be such an advantage when fishing snaggy areas coupled with 10lb line.

Reason to get the fish on the bank and back in the water as quick as poss and with as little stress as poss, to me that is :)

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Ive used Mitchell 300's,300S's, ABU Cardinal 55's,ABU C5's and both Shimano 4010 and 5010's nothing between any of them.

I have used the same reels as Budgie (except for the 'C5') since the late 70's for Barbel and the main things that defined my reel choice has been a very reliable and smooth drag and a smallish to mid sized reel which balances well with the rod as most of my Barbeling is done with the rod held in one hand ready to strike, or lightly resting my hand on the rod ready to strike with the line running through the fingers of my other hand feeling for tell tale indications.

I have used smaller reels for Barbel like the Diawa S2553 but it felt a bit under classed fror Barbel although I haven't seen the shimano DL 2500 mini baitrunners so I can't really comment on them.

I also use an OKUMA Sheffield Centrepin and love using it for trundleing small streams and rivers and trotting for Barbel on these small streams/rivers.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I have used smaller reels for Barbel like the Diawa S2553 but it felt a bit under classed fror Barbel although I haven't seen the shimano DL 2500 mini baitrunners so I can't really comment on them.

Keith

I've not had chance to use them yet but have just got a pair of the DL 2500 mini's and they look and feel spot on. The drag is great also and tightens right down for shark fishing if need be Lol.

I've just noticed i've already said this earlier in the thread..never mind.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Tigger