iPod or not?

Jim Murray

Having recently changed cars I now have an AUX socket which I'd like to use for an MP3 player. Am tempted by the iPod but my only concern is the need to use iTunes.

At present I already have the music collection on the PC encoded at 128-256kbps VBR. Although I understand iTunes has an import function will the sound quality be affected? Otherwise would I be better off looking at another device that could play the music as is?

Any other pros & cons between iPods and the competition?

not.....

I've always used Creative devices, currently a 30gb Zen, really good device, easy to use and no itunes! much cheaper too.....

not.....

I've always used Creative devices, currently a 30gb Zen, really good device, easy to use and no itunes! much cheaper too.....

I took Jeepster's advice and bought a Zen Mx for my daughter, she loves it!! On offer at Amazon around £70 for the 16gig version

Thanks John!!

Edited by Colin Brett

Looking at the Creative website I can't see anything bigger than 32GB which may be a little small for me. I'd want at least 60.

Also is the interface different on the Zen(could you use an iPod docking station)?

Another creative fan. Yes the interface is different - aren't they all / always.

Can't quite see why you need 60GB - have you checked the song sizes on the various devices. I don't know for sure but wouldn't be suprised if they are not different between devices. Also, if possible, importing 60GB of songs would probably take you forever.

Rob.

No idea about the size of current models (mines a 30 and is full....) But it's interesting to note that the connector on the bottom of mine is the same as an ipod, I use an ipod charging lead. Whether that means the connector is wired the same throughout I don't know, and I've never tried it in an ipod dock, but next time I'm near one, I will......

No idea about the size of current models (mines a 30 and is full....) But it's interesting to note that the connector on the bottom of mine is the same as an ipod, I use an ipod charging lead. Whether that means the connector is wired the same throughout I don't know, and I've never tried it in an ipod dock, but next time I'm near one, I will......

Thanks that would be interesting, though TBH I think I may be forced to go for the iPod. My current music stash is 20Gb and that will grow; together with pics and video 32Gb would be too small so AFAIK the Apple is the only choice. The iriver only goes to 20Gb.

Best option would be the old 80GB model but I see it's been replaced by the 160Gb at around £180 :o

Edited by Jim Murray

Why on earth would anybody want an mp3 player with 60 gigabytes of storage? Surely, 5 gigabytes would be more than enough.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.