Taking the Pith

George387

During the last float topic about 3 veined fluted floats Rod asked if it would work with Pith? That got me thinking then arbocop said about trying to extract the pith.... ;) from the bark of course.

I have to say this got me into thinking Elder Pith for the 1st time this year so dug out the boxes again which I posted a picture of and stripped 2 small branches down.

As I said in the last post I store the Pith in boxes on the floor of the airing cupboard for anything up to 2 years in this time the bark really dries out, flakes away and your left what can only be discribed as a very thin & brittle covering of bark which is easy removed with fingers or a blunt knife.

Ron,

I attempted fluted floats using pith but it went too small to really be considered credable as a float, If I had larger diameter Elder Branches stored then I suppose it would have worked more efficiently, what I did manage to get made though was 3 Avon style Pith & crowqull floats. This is what I really store the Pith for, each year I make 20 floats which are numbered for that year and thats all that is made for the year out of Pith.

I hope this will bring back some memories for the lads who used to use them.

pith%20avons.jpg

best regards

George

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bbamboo

Looks like you had a busy day George

Pith as a float making material how buoyant is this stuff is it more buoyant than balsa or cork?

Gary

and is there a "best" time to collect it?

Best times gott'a be mid winter before the sap starts rising, the pith should be at it driest, then it should be at it's driest before you dry it...if you know what I mean :)

Edited by Tigger

Just got to get some Crow quills and I will be away! Its madness! I dont like ther "traditional" style that you guys get so excited over but after all this talk Im going to have to make some! Daft whipping and all!!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Is the Elder Pith easy to work with George? and is there a "best" time to collect it?

I normally collect my Branches that I require at the tail end of November, what your looking for is the dead branches that are at the base of the bush but still attached, these are the driest ones in the way of sap content, they should be easily broken off with your hand, if they dont and are springy then disregard that branch & move onto another.

As for working with them, you have to be gentle with them as they are easily damaged, I use fine wet & dry paper to shape them down, then I bore them out using a drill, once the quill is in place I glue it then totally cover the pith with lacquer this makes it less flaky and easier to work, dont try & whip before applying at least one coat of lacquer or the thread will bed into the Pith and you will ruin it.

If you never got the pith down to a fine fit around the quill before whipping simply squeeze it between your fingers and it will compress long enough for you to get a whipping over it.

I personally think Its just as good as balsa & cork in the bouyancy department and the best thing about it is you know you collected it yourself of the very river banks your now fishing it with, and it was natural & of course free :)

The daft whipping as budgie elegantly puts it :) was originally for strength to the quill and to keep the float together before the days of superglue but some have taken it to extremes and I have to confess Im fond of it up to a degree but some float makers make a big deal from it and although pretty to look at they dont do anything for me, and turn me off some of the designs.

Edited by George387

Budgie, they work really well too - I particularly like the long sight tips you can put on them. I find I use them all the time for my winter grayling fishing and they are well suited to various swims. I used to use Drennan Loafers mostly but find I can see my crow quills more easily now. And I feel good 'cos I made 'em!

George, do you run the quills through the whole length of the body? It looks like you sometimes use a 'top and tail' technique. This would seem to be easier to do but I've never even thought about doing it that way. Doh!

How durable is Pith in the knockabout world of the riverbank compared to balsa?

Sleeping we image what awake we wish;

Dogs dream of bones, and fishermen of fish.

George, do you run the quills through the whole length of the body? It looks like you sometimes use a 'top and tail' technique. This would seem to be easier to do but I've never even thought about doing it that way. Doh!

How durable is Pith in the knockabout world of the riverbank compared to balsa?

It all depends on the body material Im working with at the time, I try to achieve whole length if I can purely to give the float strength but nowadays you cannot be guaranteed top quality material when buying from the internet sometime it comes soft, I prefer hard balsa purely for drilling reasons.

With Pith its hard to judge as you will start off with a good drill hole then they start to crumble so have to go for the top & tail method, although it doesnt go full length of the body I have never had a float snap or come apart on me using this method as the laqcuer seals everything & adds strength & stability also.

Pith if sealed correctly like verything else will stand the knock abouts on the bank.