NAA waters

viney

im now a full member of NAA :D going to take a day off work next week to go fishing but im spoilt for choice and cant decide which water to fish! any suggestions?

I haven't fished all of the venues yet Viney so I'm not sure what to suggest, I presume this late in the season you'll fish the river/canal stretches while you still can, the lakes might still be frozen anyway. Speen is a wonderful venue so I'd recommend it for that alone even though I haven't exactly set the record books alight with my efforts so far. There's a lot of it and it will take several trips to do it justice but you've got to start somewhere.

Hambridge and Arrowhead are much shorter stretches of the Kennet, either of which could easily be covered in a day so they could be good starters. The Kennet bits further down and the canal are on my 'to do' list.

Let us know how you get on.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

any suggestions?

Oooo loads! Speen is my winter favourite - though there's a lot of water to explore - and it will take you several trips before you even begin to get the measure of it. Has been producing good perch for me this season - though the big chub have been notable by their absence (well from their usual haunts anyhow).

Hambridge is a good trotting water - only 3 or 4 swims though bit of a banker venue for me all year round.

Widmead - below Bulls lock - a nice mixed fishery - good trotting water for silvers - especially by the railway bridge.

Arrowhead is little troubled by anglers!! - a tough water - which throws up surprises - can just about get any species there - my mate even caught a nice tench once! My PB barbel is from here (12.02) some nice swims at the top have produced good perch.

Colthrop/Brimpton - since they've started gravel extraction I've not fished Colthrop. Brimpton is a great summer water - I don't fish it much during the winter as most of it is quite fast and shallow - and the fish move into deeper water in the winter.

Aldermaston - a very tough water - rewards the patient with the odd biggie - but you need to be prepared to blank - even under ideal conditions.

Canal - NAA have lots of canal bank - all of it usually pretty good (if its ice free). I'll often combine a trip to Speen with some time on the canal at Guyers Lock.

The lakes are all frozen atm.

And if thats not enough you can also get exchange tickets for Civil Service (lovely water below Hambridge) and Wasing for Aldermaston (tough).

Personally I'd start by exploring Speen, travel light and have a good look around - the place is pretty lightly fished (mainly coz there's so much of it!)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Oooo loads! Speen is my winter favourite - though there's a lot of water to explore - and it will take you several trips before you even begin to get the measure of it. Has been producing good perch for me this season - though the big chub have been notable by their absence (well from their usual haunts anyhow).

Hambridge is a good trotting water - only 3 or 4 swims though bit of a banker venue for me all year round.

Widmead - below Bulls lock - a nice mixed fishery - good trotting water for silvers - especially by the railway bridge.

Arrowhead is little troubled by anglers!! - a tough water - which throws up surprises - can just about get any species there - my mate even caught a nice tench once! My PB barbel is from here (12.02) some nice swims at the top have produced good perch.

Colthrop/Brimpton - since they've started gravel extraction I've not fished Colthrop. Brimpton is a great summer water - I don't fish it much during the winter as most of it is quite fast and shallow - and the fish move into deeper water in the winter.

Aldermaston - a very tough water - rewards the patient with the odd biggie - but you need to be prepared to blank - even under ideal conditions.

Canal - NAA have lots of canal bank - all of it usually pretty good (if its ice free). I'll often combine a trip to Speen with some time on the canal at Guyers Lock.

The lakes are all frozen atm.

And if thats not enough you can also get exchange tickets for Civil Service (lovely water below Hambridge) and Wasing for Aldermaston (tough).

Personally I'd start by exploring Speen, travel light and have a good look around - the place is pretty lightly fished (mainly coz there's so much of it!)

C.

i was thinking the moors, armed with maggots, lobs and magic bread?

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88