Do you make stick floats?

oakey

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why its so good for stick float stems.Makes a nice "balanced" float.Not quite self cocking but it certainly helps them sit nice in pacey water.

Used to be able to get them pre formed as well.

Right, I see what you mean now, a lignum vitae stick with a body on. I just see stick floats as 'sticks'. Then again I'm not really a float connoisseur :)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I was going to paint some 15mm American Civil War figures for a forthcoming miniature war game.

Are you confident of victory or will you be painting bullet holes in them?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Are you confident of victory or will you be painting bullet holes in them?

Hehehe...even arms and other bits blown off...hehehe

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Hehehe...even arms and other bits blown off...hehehe

Just seen the thread after awakening from a gruelling 21 hours of emergency engineer...:(

Like gary I cut a spigot into the cane before inserting into the balsa & then turning the whole thing,

This is an older photograph and will be updated soon with new ones which I am currently working on for a friend in South Yorkshire, thay are remakes of the Billy lane Sticks.

sticks.jpg

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Guest bbamboo
Just seen the thread after awakening from a gruelling 21 hours of emergency engineer...:(

Like gary I cut a spigot into the cane before inserting into the balsa & then turning the whole thing,

This is an older photograph and will be updated soon with new ones which I am currently working on for a friend in South Yorkshire, thay are remakes of the Billy lane Sticks.

sticks.jpg

Hi George what the materials used in the sticks?

The billy lane stick floats Originals were they just balsa and cane,or lignum.

I need to get some more of Billys classic books

Edited by bbamboo

Hi George what the materials used in the sticks?

The billy lane stick floats Originals were they just balsa and cane,or lignum.

I need to get some more of Billys classic books

Gary they are cane & Balsa & Billy's were also dense cane and balsa and he also made balsa & piano wire ones also.

Where we have half & half for strength billy built his more of cane and only the upper sections were balsa for sensitivity.

Guest bbamboo
Gary they are cane & Balsa & Billy's were also dense cane and balsa and he also made balsa & piano wire ones also.

Where we have half & half for strength billy built his more of cane and only the upper sections were balsa for sensitivity.

Cheers

From what I picked up in Billy’s encyclopaedia of float fishing I don’t think he was to keen on traditional stick floats.

But details wire stems more favourably.

I made mine stick floats 1/3 balsa and 2/3 cane.

Gary

somebody out there must know where to get the paint,what type of paint is it?

Dapper if you look back the forum you will find everything about paints, try this link below

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/humbrol...t-t2236319.html