Trotting a shallow brook with a centrepin

tiddlertamer

I'm about to fish a water I've never explored before and I hope to trot a float down sections of it.

It's a shallow, narrow river/brook with a bit of flow this time of year.

A local tackle shop owner says it can be trotted but recommends using very light tackle and a loafer float which only takes 3bb split shot.

A trawl through my tackle box revealed the closest match was a single swan shot loafer of diminutive size.

I normally bulk shot when trotting but I have a couple of questions for the forum.

Would I be better off using a single swan shot, two AA shoot or 4bb shot on the line? I have read that by using smaller shot in higher quantity makes less of a disturbing splash for any fish near to all the action.

Secondly, I intend to use a centrepin. Would I be better off using a float that takes more shot? Would this not give me more control over the path of the float without the risk of jerking it unnaturally when trying to ensure the line stays behind the hook bait? Would not extra weight help the centrepin to gain momentum at the start of the trot?

All answers gratefully received. :)

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Always better to split the shotting capacity up as it gives you more shot on the line so more options for changing the pattern. If its really shallow try using a Trent Trotter instead.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I’d start with the small loafer you have fished a couple of inches over depth and held back. I’d also buy a couple of 2SSG loafers. I’ve tried trotting with light end tackle and found it only works in very gentle flow, in any decent flow the float gets pushed around and dragged under by the current. Using something more buoyant doesn’t seem to compromise bite detection, the fish don’t have a lot of time to decide.

Using smaller shot shirt button pattern will allow the bait to drift up and avoid the bottom and as Budgie says you can alter the pattern to suit. Depends how shallow the brook is as to how the shot is arranged. One big shot won’t give you the the same flexibility.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Yes, I would agree with Rusty and Budgie. Several smaller shot gives you flexibility and a heavier float gives you more control, especially in fast water.

I am also very jealous that you are out trotting a lovely little stream today and I'm about to have yet another day of meetings... hope you catch a few :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music