TARGETING HALIBUT THIS YEAR.

big_cod

I have 2 days booked this summer to have a go purposely to target halibut dave barmham the editor from boat fishing monthly is onboard with his pall jim and glenn stocks who is out main sponsor of the WCSA festivals we have some very intersting methods to try includeing live baiting i know halibut swim at different dephts so its going to be one hell of challenge i reallly looking forward to this one as last year throughout june i wouldnt say they were in mass numbers but it was averageing aleast 2 week caught here at whitby upto 50lb in weight so if we are sucessfull could it turn into something reallly special there seems to a certain time of year when these fish are caught before all the big shoals of feed turn up it would also be very good for my sponsors so fingers crossed cant wait the lads from BFM wanted try last year in late august not the best time as the herring were here in mass so this time fingers crossed we are hopeing for far better results dave is really excited and who could blame him.

This one i took a picture of when th fish was landed it was caught on the 3 mile it was 30lb

halibut001.jpg

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait either Paul - we may get nothing, but we may just do the business! I've got three or four different methods in my head to try - you just need to rig up that livewell mate!

It'd be great to actually sett out to target them and catch a couple!

Stick with it Dave, and the moment Paul says the word "Cod", just resist him and say your sticking it out. Like you say it would be great to see you catch something. There must be lots of species in this area that never get touched due to the skippers having cod goggles. Tope should be around here (although maybe not at the time of year you are going) and I cant for the life of me work out why there is no bass on those ground edges Paul works.