Help Me Please

Chub Frenzy

I will be going down to Herne Bay Kent and around that area around the easter period and all i want to do is catch a fish from the sea and eat it. mackerell is probably the easiest to catch so please tell me where to go and what to do to get em. Previously i have failed in catching sea fish so stuck to the river but would like to go again. I have pretty much all basic sea fishig gear and any help is useful.

I just want to catch something pretty desperate and i want it from the shore.

What will i catch in April and how will i catch it is the question.

Any knowlage around Kent is very helpful so get replying.

Any help is great.

Thanks

Chubfrenzy

hopefully Seafishfrenzy soon :)

I will be going down to Herne Bay Kent and around that area around the easter period and all i want to do is catch a fish from the sea and eat it. mackerell is probably the easiest to catch so please tell me where to go and what to do to get em. Previously i have failed in catching sea fish so stuck to the river but would like to go again. I have pretty much all basic sea fishig gear and any help is useful.

Any help is great.

Thanks

Chubfrenzy

Hiya mate...try this site...it's the Herne Bay Angling Association site, where you can read about what's being caught where and no doubt you'll be able to contact the club for further advice. You could do worse than popping up to their clubhouse and chatting to some of the lads there. Otherwise...tackle/bait shops are often the centre of angling news...give it a try. There should be cod around just now if nothing else just now.

No offence but The Herne Bay Angling Assosiation website tells u absoloutly nothing about what there is, what biat to use or where to go in herne bay....... I also live 3 hrs away and only go for the day so would like to do my homwork before hand, not hunting around for tips with a tackle shop or anything. I suppose if the worst comes to the worst i will have to.

Cmon Guys lets find some info plz.

Thanks

Chubfrenzy

Any help is great.

Thanks

Chubfrenzy

Find a rocky place and if you have some mackerel feathers use them, add some weight for long casting if need be. Hope this helps

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I also live 3 hrs away and only go for the day so would like to do my homwork before hand, not hunting around for tips with a tackle shop or anything.

Strewth !! You want it easy, don't you?

I have never fished Herne Bay, but if I was going there this Easter, here is the homework I would do.

1 Google Map of Herne Bay beach . Looking at the structure of groyne and shingle at high tide, at first sight almost anywhere on the shore would do. I would try, as a starter, east of the breakwater, opposite William Street. As you specify SHORE, I assume you want to stand on shingle or sand, rather than on the breakwater itself.

2. Look at a tide table. Easter is just after the next spring tide. The low is about 8am on Good Friday

3. Tie up some two-hook scratcher rigs size 6 (google scratcher rig if you don't know how)

On arriving at Herne Bay

4. Take the first opportunity to buy lug (1st choice) or whatever from the tackle shop, and ASK what was caught yesterday. THERE IS NOTHING AS USEFUL AS RECENT LOCAL KNOWLEDGE. You may or may not get a useful answer (I don't know the shop myself).

5. If you get told WHERE to fish, say thank you - Go There. If not, try opposite William St. Likewise, if told WHEN to fish, do so - otherwise start at low water and fish until high tide

6. Get your hide down there at low tide (8am) and be prepared to fish the tide up and over the top, using small lengths of lug (or whatever you have) on your small hooks.

7. Note the features (hollows, banks, rocks, groynes, snags etc) of the beach as the tide rises - could be useful at high tide.

8. Expect to catch rockling, poor-cod and pout at best. At this time of the year anything else is a bonus. It is almost certainly too early for mackerel off the beach. Persist for the whole of the tide.

9. Be prepared to dine on hamburger and chips :)

10. Whatever happens, you should have learnt something. If you blank, try a different spot next time.

It is that easy, or that hard <_<

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Chubfrenzy, you've asked very similar questions several times before - how did you go on previously? Maybe if you tell us what happened last time, we could be more specific?

Vagabond's advice is what I would do - but there are no guarantees of catching anything big enough to eat or even anything at all.

Some good response guys (especially vagabond... thanks for that)

The reason i keep asking nearly the same question is that i always ask it before i go fishing in kent.

Last time i went i did some fishing on the pier down at neptunes using lug and had no luck, neither did any of the other fisherman next to me. I always go to the pier as it is always busy with fishermen so i presume it is good.............

i am guessing not by now.

Any more tips and stuff is great

Thanks

Some good response guys (especially vagabond... thanks for that)

The reason i keep asking nearly the same question is that i always ask it before i go fishing in kent.

Last time i went i did some fishing on the pier down at neptunes using lug and had no luck, neither did any of the other fisherman next to me. I always go to the pier as it is always busy with fishermen so i presume it is good.............

i am guessing not by now.

Any more tips and stuff is great

Thanks

I've been a sea angler for many a year, fishing from beach, pier, rocks, boat in more countries than I care to remember and if there's a single thing that I've learned is that the only thing that's predictable about angling is it's totally unpredictability

You can put yourself over the best mark with first class bait on the ideal tide and come home empty handed...or mis-cast on an unknown mark 25 yards into the surf, quickly reel in again and hook a 6lb bass on the retreive. This is the beauty of our sport!

Enjoy being out in nature...doing what you love...in peace!

And by the way...if you look again at the Hene Bay AA site you'll find that they do say that the cod are back in again!

Get out there and do it!

• 2 weeks later...
I will be going down to Herne Bay Kent and around that area around the easter period and all i want to do is catch a fish from the sea and eat it.

Right - so after all that advice, what happened ??

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Right - so after all that advice, what happened ??

It has been slighly postponed to sat/sun/mon this week, and monday next week obviously......

Hoping to do a bit of everything - bit of fishing from the pier, bit from the beach, maybe a bit in a harbour if i can fit it in.....

Will let u no how it gets on..

Thanks

Chubfrenzy