Removing Signal Crayfish May Do More Harm Than Good

Elton

Sounds very similar to the theory that is often mentioned when big pike are killed:

CLICK HERE

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Sounds very similar to the theory that is often mentioned when big pike are killed:

CLICK HERE

That's certainly been the experience of a couple of trappers who I've spoken to on the Kennet - over the years average size of signals caught has gone down but overall tonnage of signals caught has gone up!!! (Tonnage is only a slight exaggeration - these guys are getting around a tonne of crays per season - Apr-Sep).

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

We should have a catch and kill no closed season on all fish and whatever introduced to our waterways in the last 100 years, that might give our native species a chance and lets include otters, cormorants, and the greens.

English by birth, a Cockney by the Grace of God and an Angler by choice and design and very proud of it.

That's certainly been the experience of a couple of trappers who I've spoken to on the Kennet - over the years average size of signals caught has gone down but overall tonnage of signals caught has gone up!!! (Tonnage is only a slight exaggeration - these guys are getting around a tonne of crays per season - Apr-Sep).

C.

I understand that smaller ones will proliferate if the larger are removed, but their sentence confuses me slightly;

She added it has the opposite effect because as trapping tends to catch larger, more mature specimens, it can actually reduce competition for young crayfish and allow them to breed even more ferociously than before.

Surely the females will only be mated succesfully once, how many times they may be mated, no matter how ferociously makes no difference - doesn't it?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."