wiring light switch and sockets

Andy_1984

decided to paint the hall a few days ago as a suprise for my mum getting out of hospital and just got a few 2W Polished Chrome light Switches to finish it off.

i had one of the old switches off last night to get rid of a border behind it and noticed that the back box has been earthed but my new chrome switch also has an earth point on it, what earth should i use ? or should i earth both taking a wire from the back box to the chrome light switch. or does the fact the chrome switch screws on to the back box enough contact for the earth to complete?

also same deal with sockets.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

usually you have an earth from the cable to the earth point in the box then to the switch or socket,in plastic boxes of course theres no reason to earth the box just the socket or switch, in metal boxes the screws that hold the switch onto the box touch the metal box thus can become live if the wiring comes loose in the switch or socket!

if there's an earth provision then its best to use it even if your doubling up the earth points (more is good) you will though need to use the correct wire and sheath incase theres a fault etc ,the electrical standards have been tightened up a lot although theres no requirement if you do the wiring if a later electrician gets a belt he may get annoyed with "amateur" installs.if your house burns down the insurance may get interested as well! and selling your house may need a certificate etc.

when we had our house rewired the electrician refused to wire up my armoured cable that goes to the shed (wrong coloured wires) it had a switched and fused at 10 amp box so it could be switched off when on holiday to get around anything "naughty" in the future i simply fitted a bit of heavy cable and a plug to the switched box and it became an "extension" lead without needing any regs at all!

besides the colour my bit of armour no doubt exceeded every EU directive out there but directives are for making money not safety most of the time ,soon we will be fitting those abysmal french sockets if there's enough money to be made! or enough palms to grease :rolleyes:

mine being 4mm cable far exceeded the bloody house wiring it connected to and each end was totally waterproof to 3ft above the floor but in the eyes of our EU masters not F ing good enough!

i think the colour change introduction was made so gangs of poles and Lithuanians could find their way around our house wiring and rip us off as well as home grown electricians :D;)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

totaly understand you, i hope.

1. same diamater earth cable and sleve as existing earth cable

2. wire it from the same earth point on the back box to the earth point on the chrome switch

just want to clarify before i fry my self, at least my nephew would probably find that funny

The front chrome plate will automatically earth to the backplate via the screws holding it in place. Double earthing could conceivably create a cicuit.

Edited by greg long

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

The front chrome plate will automatically earth to the backplate via the screws holding it in place. Double earthing could conceivably create a cicuit.

why have an earth point behind the screw hole on the faceplate with a little screw for securing the wire ?

why have an earth point behind the screw hole on the faceplate with a little screw for securing the wire ?

incase the live comes adrift after you unscrew the screws or the screws are loose (you then get a bad earth connection especially to sockets),you lose nothing by using both methods of earthing if they are there.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson