MPs and experts in talks to stop fish stocks' collapse

Elton

MPs from major fishing nations and fisheries experts are holding talks in London on how to prevent the collapse of global fish stocks.

Full article here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_env...nt/10262153.stm

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The move is being made as 245 marine scientists from 35 countries have joined forces to call for a worldwide system of very large, highly-protected marine reserves.

Could have read; The move is being made as 245 marine scientists from 35 countries have joined forces to call for a worldwide system of very large (and prolonged), highly-lucrative, marine studies.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Very little information at all in the Beebs "report"; just the usual press release advert advert that the Beeb calls news these days.

Anyone know if these "Fisheries experts" due to attend are actual fisheries scientists or scientists with a view on fisheries?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Apparently 245 "Fisheries experts" are to contribute to this "event" (who pays btw?)

First one I found with Google is Dr Alex Rodgers of the Institute of Zoology in London.;

http://www.zsl.org/science/ioz-staff-stude...rs,1079,AR.html

Dr Alex David Rogers

Reader

Curriculum Vitae:

• Jan 2009: Reader, Institute of Zoology, London.
  • Mar 2006: Senior Research Fellow – Institute of Zoology, London.
  • Nov 2001-2005: Principal Investigator in Biodiversity Research, British Antarctic Survey.
  • Oct 1997-Nov 2001: N.E.R.C. Advanced Research Fellow, University of Southampton.
  • Dec 1992-Sep 1997: M.B.A. Research Fellow, Marine Biological Association of the U.K., Plymouth.
  • 1989-1992: PGRA, N.E.R.C. Research grant GR3/7168, University of Liverpool.

Research Interests:

My research focuses on the ecology, evolution and conservation of marine ecosystems, particularly those of the deep-sea. I have special interests in seamounts, habitat-forming cold-water corals, chemosynthetic communities and the Antarctic. I routinely employ molecular tools (DNA sequencing, microsatellites) to study present connectivity between populations of marine species and the effects of historical events on their distribution. Because of the poorly-studied nature of the deep ocean, molecular systematic approaches are often extremely important in my work to help resolve species, particularly for work on Cnidaria. My work involves expeditions on research vessels to study these ecosystems and collect biological samples for identification, description of new species, and studies of molecular ecology and systematics. I also have interests in the taxonomy of several groups of marine invertebrates (Cnidaria, Nemertea, Echiura) and I am currently the Marine Invertebrate Red List Authority for the IUCN Invertebrate and Marine groups of the Species Survival Commission.

I also work on policy related to the conservation of marine ecosystems. I am interested in ocean governance and the regulation of fisheries, especially on the high seas. I am currently working with the Global Legislators Organisation for a Better Environment (Globe International) reviewing and formulating policy related to marine fisheries and to the management of coral reef and other coastal ecosystems. I have also worked for the UK Government, IUCN, UN Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO), UN Division of Oceans and Law of the Sea (UN-DOALOS), UN International Seabed Authority (ISA), and NGOs including WWF and Greenpeace. Most of this work has involved research and synthesis relating to vulnerable marine ecosystems, particularly deep-sea coral reefs. I have participated in both workshops and international negotiations related to the regulation of fisheries. As a part of this work I have also established a new NGO, the International Programme on the State of the Ocean (IPSO).

Clearly no vested interest there. Anyone have any way of finding out how many actual FISHERIES Scientists with a CV that includes papers on managing FISHERIES are going to be at this event?

Edited by Jaffa

The weird crap you find when searching about fisheries "management" :)

http://www.sustainabilityforum.com/forum/j...2%A340-50k.html

Pew - Outreach Manager, Global Ocean Legacy project - London £40-50k

http://greenjobs.brightgreentalent.com/car...al&a=deta...

Experienced conservationist and outreach manager to join Pew’s Global Ocean Legacy programme in the UK, with the goal of securing designation of one of the largest highly protected marine reserves in the world.

The Organisation

The Pew Charitable Trusts (http://www.pewtrusts.org/) is an independent non-profit with offices across the globe and headquarters in Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.

It’s conservation arm, the Pew Environment Group (PEG), the conservation arm of PCT, promotes policies and practices that protect the global atmosphere, preserves healthy forests and conserves marine ecosystems. For the past two decades, PEG has been a major force in driving US, and more recently, global conservation policy.

Global Ocean Legacy (GOL), a project of the Pew Environment Group, is one of Pew’s principal marine programmes. GOL currently comprises10 full-time staff, with plans to hire an additional 2-4. GOL is a collaboration of (The Pew Charitable Trusts, the Sandler Foundation, the Oak Foundation and the Robertson Foundation and Lyda Hill). GOL’s aim is to identify and secure permanent protection for three to five massive marine reserves over five years – several potential sites of which are within UK overseas waters. In the UK, the programme will collaborate with NGOs, government and other institutions and individuals to promote protection of irreplaceable marine ecosystems; particularly the Chagos Archipelago--a remote and isolated group of more than 50 individual islands with vast and widely dispersed reefs, including the biggest atoll structure in the world.

The Role

The position offers the unique chance to play a fundamental role in creating the one or more of the largest highly protected marine reserves in the world. GOL is looking for someone to establish, coordinate and manage the public outreach in the UK.

The UK Outreach Officer will be the second hire for Pew’s new UK office, and will work primarily on the Chagos Marine Reserve Campaign.

Responsibilities

• Outreach: Ensure effective public outreach and education for the Global Ocean Legacy Chagos Marine Reserve Campaign. Work in conjunction with Global Ocean Legacy staff, senior consultants and partner organizations to create public outreach strategy and materials, including a campaign website, campaign video, and campaign written materials for the public and press.

• Liaise with project partners: Provide guidance and help to staff of other environmental organizations involved in the campaign in support of their public outreach and education.

• Public mobilization: In conjunction with campaign partners, mobilize public support for the protection of the Chagos Archipelago including, as appropriate rallies, public events and other public demonstrations of support.

• Develop reporting system: Create a reporting system to provide regular updates to campaign partners on public outreach and education developments and potential public outreach challenges.

• Other tasks: Undertake other work such as identifying relevant organizations and service providers, and liaising with other staff of the Pew Charitable Trusts and Pew Environment Group as needed. Serve as campaign deputy able to fill in on matters relating to the Chagos Marine Reserve Campaign in the absence of the Campaign Director.

Candidate Profile

Pew is looking for an experienced campaigner with a track record in successful campaigns. The project will be managed from London and the Global Ocean Legacy central office in Juneau Alaska. Initially the role will be a one-year contract position, with the potential for a renewal. The successful applicant will need to demonstrate:

• Experience. A minimum 8-12 years of work experience within the conservation sector and/or in media/outreach. Prior knowledge of or work around the Chagos Marine Reserve is desirable.

• Communications. Excellent written and oral communications skills. Experience with messaging and public relations.

• Managerial skills. Pew seeks a campaigner with seasoned judgment, the ability to make decisions, justify recommendations, and be responsive, clear and firm with consultants, colleagues, and partners.

• Autonomy. Ability to work effectively independently.

• Diplomacy. Exhibit diplomacy skills. Be able to work productively with a wide array of different people and institutions and understand many of the sensitive issues connected with the areas in which the projects are focused.

• Personal expertise, connections and networks. Possesses a strong network of relevant contacts that can provide expert information and advance results. Able to leverage relationships to influence positive outcomes. Familiarity and connection with the conservation community is desirable.

• Education. Advanced degree in a relevant area or equivalent experience.

• Creativity.

Application deadline: October 21, 2009

For information on the role, please contact Tom Savage:

+44 203 287 7223

+44 778 685 4466

www.brightgreentalent.com

Talent for a Bright Green Future

Bright Green Talent places outstanding people in inspiring jobs in the environmental & CSR sectors. For more information, have a glance at www.brightgreentalent.com. We help these extraordinary people advance their careers, so they are best positioned to further the cause of sustainability and social development.

http://greenjobs.brightgreentalent.com/car...l&a=deta...

**** em.

Could have read; The move is being made as 245 marine scientists from 35 countries have joined forces to call for a worldwide system of very large (and prolonged), highly-lucrative, marine studies.

You should have heard the splutters of Callum Roberts when a commercial fisherman put that very point to him at Fishing 2010 Steve. 'This has nothing to do with fish stocks, it's all to do with scientists making money', went down a bomb with the audience.

I think it says a lot about commercial fishermen that they can't even begin to comprehend the idea that anyone would be motivated by anything other than "making money".

I've known and met many people who work in scientific research (and confess to having done it myself). I've known scientists motivated by the ego trip of having their work published, by reluctance to go out into the scary wide world and get a proper job, by inability to do anything else and even some motivated by passion for their research field or a wish to learn and teach their students but I have NEVER met one motivated by "making money".

If you want to see people driving brand new 4x4 BMW's, the place to go is not a university car park, try Peterhead when the boats come in.

I also work on policy related to the conservation of marine ecosystems. I am interested in ocean governance and the regulation of fisheries, especially on the high seas. I am currently working with the Global Legislators Organisation for a Better Environment (Globe International) reviewing and formulating policy related to marine fisheries and to the management of coral reef and other coastal ecosystems. I have also worked for the UK Government, IUCN, UN Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO), UN Division of Oceans and Law of the Sea (UN-DOALOS), UN International Seabed Authority (ISA), and NGOs including WWF and Greenpeace. Most of this work has involved research and synthesis relating to vulnerable marine ecosystems, particularly deep-sea coral reefs. I have participated in both workshops and international negotiations related to the regulation of fisheries. As a part of this work I have also established a new NGO, the International Programme on the State of the Ocean (IPSO).

Just looking at this experts c v, i can see he has a totally un-biased opinion especially working for ngo's such as i have underlined. No wonder the uk and the eu are short of money employing countless number of these one sided marters. He has even commenced with yet another ngo, still if he sticks his head up over the parapet, our nice new government might just decide if his nice new ngo is sustainable, value for taxpayers money etc. Hope our new government delve deeply into what defra have acheived in the last few years. :rolleyes:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..