How much to get started?

Christy

Hi

Afraid you won't find any rivers near south london containing trout,except perhaps the Wandle that does hold a few brownies.

Plenty of stillwaters in surrey/sussex.

Look here

http://www.flyfishingvenues.co.uk/list.asp...th+East+England

You should be able to pick up a reasonable enough rod and reel,line,backing and leaders fort your budget.Just look on ebay,there is plenty of choice.

Why do you want an orange line??.Not that there is anything wrong in that,but if you have never fly fished why insist on an orange line!!!!!!!.

Lines are plentiful and everyone will probably recommend something different.Take a look at www.impactflies.com.I use these now,tested a line for the guy and found them very good and decent price as well.Shakespeare lines are good.For real cheapness take a look at Mullarkeys web site.They do a mill end at around £4,cheap as chips and they are ok too :D .

I like the colour! :P I don't mind travelling, as long as I can do so on public transport.

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Casting is all about timing. Get the timing right and you can cast. It does help if someone with experience watches you as you will make mistakes, usually involving the back cast! Don't expect to become proficient in the first ten minutes but practice on the lawn (if big enough) or down at the local park/recreation ground. Do use a leader but tie a bit of wool or similar to the end. The leader will prevent damage to the flyline and the wool will show you how the leader is turning over as it lands gently ( :P ) on the 'water'.

Try and remember that in general, more effort is required to lift the line off the water for the back cast than the forward cast. The back cast should be firm and smooth with the rod stopping as close to vertical as possible. The weight of the line will then bend the rod back further. As the line straightens with the rod still 'loaded' aim your forward cast to a point 12-18" above where you want the fly to land. Slow and pause the forward cast at approximately 10 o'clock and relax the rod as the line shoots forwards. Lower the rod as the line is all in front of you and it should kiss the 'water' with nary a ripple!

Don't try and cast 30 yards first off, get used to the weight and balance of the rod and line with some 'false' casts. You will know when you've got the timing right by the way the line changes direction smoothly. Don't be afraid to look back over your shoulder to watch the way the line flies but always wear eye protection, sunglasses at least. Even a bit of wool in the eye will have you on your knees crying in agony. A brimmed hat can save a nasty sting on the ear as well!

Good luck and I'm sure some more skilled flycasters will point out anything I've missed or got wrong!

Sorry I can't help with reservoirs in your area.

Good introduction Worms. I will just add that you may find it easier if you stick the small amount of butt up your sleeve. This helps prevent the wrist from bending during the cast and making wide loops. You can also buy wrist supports, but the sleeve trick weorks just as well, providing you have a rod that the reel is tightened upwards rather than down.

Imagine your thumb (which should be pointing down the top of the rod handle) is connected to a curtain rail when you back cast - it's back, not back and down. The forward cast is the same, but you will need to lower at the end to get the cast to shoot - 'stick your thumb in his eye'.

Practice without extending the line first, to get the feel of it then gradually let line out on the forward cast. With practice you will be able to let line out on the forward and the back casts.

Oh yes - use a floating line until you've got the hang of it. Start with a #6/7 outfit - that should be about right. and don't watch Hywel Morgan, no-one can do what he does!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Good introduction Worms. I will just add that you may find it easier if you stick the small amount of butt up your sleeve. This helps prevent the wrist from bending during the cast and making wide loops. You can also buy wrist supports, but the sleeve trick weorks just as well, providing you have a rod that the reel is tightened upwards rather than down.

Imagine your thumb (which should be pointing down the top of the rod handle) is connected to a curtain rail when you back cast - it's back, not back and down. The forward cast is the same, but you will need to lower at the end to get the cast to shoot - 'stick your thumb in his eye'.

Practice without extending the line first, to get the feel of it then gradually let line out on the forward cast. With practice you will be able to let line out on the forward and the back casts.

Oh yes - use a floating line until you've got the hang of it. Start with a #6/7 outfit - that should be about right. and don't watch Hywel Morgan, no-one can do what he does!

OK, and what about leaders?

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Hey Guys,

I'm new here as well and hopefully moving to the UK in a couple of months. I got into fishing in the US, lived there for year now it's time for some change. :) As I said I fell in love with fishing in Rhode Island, beautiful state, lots of fish, what's not to like? I'm a newbie in every way, all I have experience with is saltwater fishing. I've never really seen fly fishing before but Sportsman's link got my attention, this sexyloops website is amazing. If it's really true and you can catch a wide variety of fish with this method count me in. ;)

My question is, what can you catch in the UK with flyfishing?

Hey Guys,

I'm new here as well and hopefully moving to the UK in a couple of months. I got into fishing in the US, lived there for year now it's time for some change. :) As I said I fell in love with fishing in Rhode Island, beautiful state, lots of fish, what's not to like? I'm a newbie in every way, all I have experience with is saltwater fishing. I've never really seen fly fishing before but Sportsman's link got my attention, this sexyloops website is amazing. If it's really true and you can catch a wide variety of fish with this method count me in. ;)

My question is, what can you catch in the UK with flyfishing?

Hi resident.

Ok,trout obviously :D ,rainbows and browns are the usual fare,however there are fisheries with tigers,blues,goldens and even char.

On the coarse fish front,Pike,perch,dace,chub,rudd would possibly be the most popular.

Sea fish would include mackeral,pollock,bass etc.To be honest there are probably few fish that can't be targeted with fly.

Hey,

It's me again. I don't really know how it works so I got to ask: Are there EA owned lakes, rivers or creeks near north London? (or anywhere where I could fish with a license.) To be honest I'm not really in favor of the fisheries and buying tickets everyday... Especially when I don't even wanna keep the fish. Thanks!