whitby the best?

barry luxton

quote:

Three skippers to qualify to charter boats where all under 19 when they suceeded. Richard English, Steve West, now the latest Lyle Stantiford, 17 he was. Fished many times with Steve West, both at anchor for the conger and ling and on the drift for the cod and pollock fishing. As the famous Paul Whittall reminds us, it's just like driving a bus, with the added advantage of the electronics in front of you with the marks in the computer. All it takes is two or three drifts to sus out where the fish lie in relation to the wreck. Would i fish with lyle, not half he has taken delivery of a new cat this year, his fishy foto's are looking ok, fairplay to the man.

Yep, spot on Barry.

I have all John Brennan's wreck marks as well as Mikes, + my own. Over 1100 in total which are programmed into our Raymarine E120's. It is just a question of which one you visit first, and the tide/wind quickly sort that out on the day. We plan the day as a 'bus route' - we like to come back with the wind on our stern, so it is quite a simple procedure.

It is easy to drift wrecks using high tech gear. Lady Penelopes chauffeur 'Parker' could do it. Using vectors and plot trails, there is no more skill in the job than riding a moped.

Thats another reality check ;)

Alan

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once the drift is sorted and the fish are coming up, switch the noisy sounder off and just use the plotter. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Knowledge is accumulative. It is easily possible for any person to know more about physics than Issac Newton ever did by studying what he wrote, and what people wrote after him. ;)

To say that a skipper is the most important part of the boat is total nonsense. Previous skippers have left us their accumulative knowledge and detailed legacy which can be exploited.

A 12 year old could fly a modern plane. Not because they are skilled, but because the planes can fly themselves due to the input of previous pilots and modern technology.

Alan

Edited by wildcard

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

quote:

............its tits off recently on the shads i can count on one hand just how many cod have actually come of wrecks the skill is to fish sprat marks uptide tide of the wrecks sometimes 200mtrs away from the wrecks the fish are nowhere near the wrecks you dont learnt this overnight it takes years to work this job out to knows just whats what commercial fishermen know there job get them behind the wheel of charterboat and 99% of the time they are lost

Three skippers to qualify to charter boats where all under 19 when they suceeded. Richard English, Steve West, now the latest Lyle Stantiford, 17 he was. Fished many times with Steve West, both at anchor for the conger and ling and on the drift for the cod and pollock fishing. As the famous Paul Whittall reminds us, it's just like driving a bus, with the added advantage of the electronics in front of you with the marks in the computer. All it takes is two or three drifts to sus out where the fish lie in relation to the wreck. Would i fish with lyle, not half he has taken delivery of a new cat this year, his fishy foto's are looking ok, fairplay to the man.

It was one commercial guy at brixham who started to put the conger fishing on the map, when decca was in use, instead of the commercials using decca to miss the wrecks, they started fishing them and found good eel on them. Then they could earn dosh taking anglers out. Can't remember the name of the first 'conger' boat at brixham, however it's still around as it was up for sale in the last year or so. Remember going on ex commercial trawlers for a very long time fishing for the conger and ling and the cod for that matter, good fun.

Barry i had my skippers ticket when i was 21 thats 30 years ago i fished without decca useing landmarks out 3 to 4 miles positioning on wrecks if the viss was good years ago most commercial fishermen took angles to sea usually on a weekend it cash in the back pocket it was when trawling took off big style a lot of the wrecks around our shores were found at a cost to the trawlers once decca kicked in fully it was godsend to the commercial fisherman but when gps came in if you dared you could hit the doors against the wreck to bray the fish out if you were brave enough you say its easy to work things out you sounds like you have more experiene than all those skippers you mention put together looks like you are doing the wrong job barry to be good at this job takes a lot of experince and hard work it takes years to work out the best peices of ground on large reefs with may stretch for miles fish often gather on ground in far more numbers than they do on any wreck if you know where to look the majority cod caught here at whitby arent caught on wrecks we have miles upon miles of fantastic ground which is a haven for cod boats arent steaming for hours on end to catch fish you dont know what you are missing.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

I am not sure why Mike was not allowed to join the WCSA when 3 weeks previously he was told by JW it would be a formality and it was seen as protectionism by some. My boat would have filled a niche (a USP) which was and still remains unfilled - the wreck marks which remain unplundered between 20-80 miles from Whitby. This would have been done in daylight hours between 12-16 hours in trip length. I was never interested in entering the cat into the 10 hour festivals and planned only to fish about 75 days in total per year, though Mike had agreed 110.

So it would have brought a new dimension to Whitby and been no threat to any of the existing charter boats.

I had a big publicity stunt planned which would have put Whitby in the Sun newspaper. I placed a £50,000 bet with Rupert Adams of William Hill bookmakers that our boat would be the first in the UK to catch a great white shark :lol:

The plan was to catch a shark, any shark then publish the story that due to global warming there had been great whites seen off Whitbys coast and we had been fishing for them and not the one we had caught. The film crews and media would have descended into Whitby in hordes and I was going to tell them that we had used Bothams tea cakes in the chum mix :P

Everybody in Whitby would have benefitted.

The WCSA is run by skippers though, and not businessmen and they would not think to place such a bet themselves. The recent catch of the 2 porbeagles would have generated world wide attention in similar circumstances. Instead, it never even got into our local paper. :huh:

Alan

Yep, spot on Barry.

I have all John Brennan's wreck marks as well as Mikes, + my own. Over 1100 in total which are programmed into our Raymarine E120's. It is just a question of which one you visit first, and the tide/wind quickly sort that out on the day. We plan the day as a 'bus route' - we like to come back with the wind on our stern, so it is quite a simple procedure.

It is easy to drift wrecks using high tech gear. Lady Penelopes chauffeur 'Parker' could do it. Using vectors and plot trails, there is no more skill in the job than riding a moped.

Alan

Alan fishing a small wreck wind across tide getting the lines into the wreck can be difficult for even most experienced skipper also the tide runs at 3 levels through the water top , midwater and the bottom on a big tide the tide can be one way on the top and going the other way on the bottom you can buy a RYA disc with all the wrecks throughout the north sea for £100 they are all available for anybody to fish these days there are no secrets anymore its the ground fishing marks where people get lost to get good ground marks you can only be done by experience and fishing the gound over the years day in day out i have had numerous cod and ling into the 30ss off ground i have won quite a few festivals with some very big ling off ground big fish like ledges which there a few good ones rangeing for the 3 mile off over now knowing exactly where they are and what stages of tide either flood or ebb to fish them is a different matter.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg

Yep, spot on Barry.

Alan

Alan fishing a small wreck wind across tide getting the lines into the wreck can be difficult for even most experienced skipper also the tide runs at 3 levels through the water top , midwater and the bottom on a big tide the tide can be one way on the top and going the other way on the bottom ,you can also buy a RYA disc with all the wrecks throughout the north sea for £100 they are all available for anybody to fish these days there are no secrets anymore its the ground fishing marks where people get lost to get good ground marks you can only be done by experience and fishing the gound over the years day in day out i have had numerous cod and ling into the 30ss off ground i have won quite a few festivals with some very big ling off ground big fish like ledges now knowing where they are is different matter.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg

................................. its the ground fishing marks where people get lost to get good ground marks you can only be done by experience and fishing the gound over the years day in day out i have had numerous cod and ling into the 30ss off ground i have won quite a few festivals with some very big ling off ground big fish like ledges now knowing where they are is different matter.

paul.

The north sea and also the channel are looking at the same class of fish, either on the ground or the wrecks. If the class of fish on the ground are not there as all the indications are that yes there is cod, however,the upper size is mid double figures, now and again a larger one may turn up. You will need a bit of luck for that to happen. As the shads are fishing their tit's off, anyone trying rock hopping with a short trace using a sidewinder on the ground, while on the drift? That way your bait is on the ground, (where they live) a lot longer than the traditional shadding method.

Look at this link for the lower channel, yes good cod, however as it shows larger ones are few and far. Ling to 30lb as well, however most are caught at anchor during tide, with bait, into the wrecks.

Dean Farrell's turbot near the bottom of the page ain't bad, good trip to the island for his boat.

http://www.fishingdartmouth.co.uk/how_fishing.htm

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Alan fishing a small wreck wind across tide getting the lines into the wreck can be difficult for even most experienced skipper also the tide runs at 3 levels through the water top , midwater and the bottom on a big tide the tide can be one way on the top and going the other way on the bottom ,you can also buy a RYA disc with all the wrecks throughout the north sea for £100 they are all available for anybody to fish these days there are no secrets anymore its the ground fishing marks where people get lost to get good ground marks you can only be done by experience and fishing the gound over the years day in day out i have had numerous cod and ling into the 30ss off ground i have won quite a few festivals with some very big ling off ground big fish like ledges now knowing where they are is different matter.

paul.

Paul, the tide directional changes at different depths you refer to is called the 'Ekman spiral' and I guarantee the more anyone tries to understand the subject the more baffled they will become. :o

I first noticed a curious thing on a video of a diver who was descending his 'shot line'. I would have expected the line to bow from the buoy to the seabed away in the direction of the tide. The video showed the line spiraling like an unwound spring. I asked a commercial diver about it and he said to google the word 'katina' but I have never found out any more about what he meant. I dont know how the word is spelt though.

I have a couple of hundred 'ground' marks myself which have fished well in the past, some of which were handed down to me, though most are my own. Some are marks on gulleys, shelves and reef ledges or structures such as the saddles on the 'ecofisk pipeline'.

Most are redundant now though, as we have a navionics platinum card which gives realtime images of the seabed in 3D as we travel across it. It is like watching some kind of video game.

Mike Freeman was a 'commercial jigger' and his average catch was over 70 stone of gutted cod per trip. This was sold at the quayside, so I know the weights to be accurate. All taken from wrecks - none from ground.

Commercial diver Andrew Jacksons dive partner Carl Racey has put some very detailed information on the website 'wrecksite.eu' run by Jan Lettens . I have been researching JB's wreck marks with many other individuals to find wrecks that lay across the tide rather than in line with it, and it is the divers that hold this knowledge, not the skippers.

We fished such a wreck yesterday and never moved off it for over 4 hours. :rolleyes:

Alan