US orders

Never having bought anything overseas,I am wondering about charges,fees etc.A lot of things seem a lot cheaper IE:Mitchell 300.Can anyone advise on the best way to order without duty and tax etc.?... or anything you feel would be of use.

Andy Macfarlane :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Its been a while but the last time I ordered from Cabelas I was charged 5% import duty and 17.5% VAT on top of the value of the order.Carriage charges were 20% value of order via sea which takes about 6 weeks and 40% value of order via air courier which takes a couple of days.

Basically if it costs more than £18 including postage then you could be caught. In practice, I've done a load of transactions with the USA (Ebay & others) and I'd say that I've only been charged on maybe 1 in 5 parcels. It appears that they get all the really expensive ones, and they get the big bulky ones. The smaller parcels get through. It also depends who delivers it. ALL parcels I've had via DHL have been charged. Parcelforce seems to go in cycles - none for months then 3 or 4 together. Post Office rarely charges, but they only deliver the smaller ones anyway.

One additional charge to note - many of the companies charge a handling fee for fulfilling their legal obligation to collect your tax. Seems like a total rip-off to me but there is absolutely nothing you can do about it - if you don't pey you don't get the item! I recently got charged a handling fee of around £6 by Parcelforce on an item that cost just over £25. That's nearly 25%, and when you add that to the 5% import duty and 17.5% VAT that's around £37 for something that cost £25. Don't let this put you off though - most get through OK, and this charge is obviously a lower percentage on bigger items.

[ 03 May 2002, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: davidP ]

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Andy - as I understand it, the VAT thing is restricted to the UK and you are really paying it on many/most items you buy from UK vendors (maybe food, clothing, etc. are excepted - don't know).

When I buy UK tackle from a shop over there by mail order, them subtract the VAT from the price before calculating the amount I owe them since non-UK buyers don't have to pay it.

In general, plan on £1 for each $1 of the price. Sometimes it will be less since, as noted above, the government doesn't always figure out you owe it and you are not charged.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Good answer from David.

Last year I had three rods arrive( all the same parcel), no vat, import duty, anything to pay.

Another time a tiny little spinner/jigs parcel got hit with the lot, including the dreaded Handling charge.

I use to think 1 in 3 got hit, but Like david I now feel it comes in bursts.

Some people get their parcels sent overland as they feel that the charges don't get put on these, I'm not sure as I tend to use the 4-7 day air post, I,m to impatient.

One thing to bear in mind is the U.K taxes etc get heaped on all your cost( including what you paid for P&P, so make sure P&P is reasonable, because it is a double kick in the nuts, if you then have to pay taxes on it).

Here is a nice little site for working out roughly what the air/overland costs should be ( some of the little retailers give you chance to chose your own option.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/

JUST A THOUGHT

What ifffffffffffffff

you get someone to post items as presents would you still pay taxes and all the rest.

hunter:

JUST A THOUGHT

What ifffffffffffffff

you get someone to post items as presents      would you still pay taxes and all the rest.  

In theory even gifts are subject to import duties, although it does seem to make them less likely to get picked out. The simple fact is however that it is illegal for shops (or indeed individuals) to export goods marked as 'gift' if they aren't. You may get away with it on small items, and many Ebay sellers work this way, but companies like Cabelas or Bass Shop Pro have to do things properly else they risk prosecution.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

:rolleyes: mmmm....might be worthwhile waiting till someone comes up with a good sneaky plan.They usually do. :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

what pees me off is that 5% of our 17.5% goes straight to europe ,if a politition decided to scrap vat (yes i know that pigs would fly first) he couldnt get rid of that 5% ,also what pees me off in some cases vat is still payable on second hand goods ,i got caught out buying a landrover the owner was a "fairground "worker and was exempt ,the landrover used to pull a generator ,therefor i payed vat

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson