Cor! What a pair!!

Colin Brett

Colin,

I have never seen predatory fish similarly joined reach equal size. They must be singular in the attack. Unless this fish(s) was hand fed One side would be much larger than the other. They appear to be hooked at the head so blood supply would be the only source of nutrition for the other one. GEEZ, how confusing can I make it. But I think you will get my drift. I have seen large salmon with extra body parts. Facing the fish they are almost always on the left side. Now maybe someone can answer that delemia.

Phone

Hi, I think these are two seperate Pike that have been carried hanging on that string, the smaller Pike was put on the string first then the larger pike was added. This means the head of the smaller pike was forced up under the gill plate by the weight of the larger pike and held in place by the sharp gill rackers, then the days 'catch' was layed on the deck for a photo before taking them home for the pan,you can see the shape of the gill plate covering the smaller pikes head.

Thats my opinion anyway ! A good photo anyway:)

Richard :D

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

Guest NickInTheNorth
phonebush:

Colin,

I have never seen predatory fish similarly joined reach equal size. They must be singular in the attack. Unless this fish(s) was hand fed One side would be much larger than the other.

My best guess would be that the pike on the right weighs about twice what the pike on the left does, given that both length and girth on the left are rather smaller.

quote:
They appear to be hooked at the head so blood supply would be the only source of nutrition for the other one.
Although joined at the head it appears from the picture that the fish on the left does have a mouth shared with the fish on the right. Perhaps it does take some of the prey fish.

I would certainly guess that the image has not been doctored. If it has then the job has been done very well. On most doctored photos unless done by a real expert there is usually some discrepency with the background. This one appears to me to be genuine. There is no sign of poor anti-aliasing around the fish (even one or two pixels) - often a give away. Also no sign of the background having been joined anywhere in the vicinity of the head which is where any real image manipulation would need to have taken place.

The one part of the image which does puzzle me slightly is the straight line running from the tip of the left pikes upper jaw to the right eye of the right pike. There is a colour change here which even when viewed at 1600% appears to be almost straight. However I cannot see what relevance that could have to creating this image.

My opinion for what it is worth is that this is a genuine fish.