2002/03 Rod Licence

Polly

Nick, I appreciate that you live in an isolated location, but I assume most posters here don,t.

To find the 5 minutes necessary, to pop in to a Post Office and buy a licence, can,t be a major problem.

You do not even need to go "in person".

As long as they have all the relevant information, anyone can get your licence for you.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's an excellent service.

Having just realised tonight - Sunday, 31st March, at 8:40pm - that I need a licence for first thing tomorrow morning; I can buy one on-line now!

Top stuff!

Great service, quick and easy to use. However why the .25p surcharge. I know it not a lot but how much are the Agency saving by anglers buying direct? I don't know what the Post Office commision is, but if it were only 10% Thats £2.10 on every full coarse fishing licence, so maybe there should be a discount given to everyone buying direct or better still a donation to the NAA or perhaps the ACA. What do you think?

Alan.

Although it is a lot easier to buy off the net one reason for buying at the P.O., if like me you live in the country, using the local P.O. helps to keep it open but the problem now is that Consignia or what ever their name is will be closing many of the village P.O.'s and so a way of life will now disappear along with other traditions.

Nutter.

Bill

Hereford

ANMC Founder Member

I received mine last week on the new direct debit system. It is an excellent idea, as it takes the 'having to remember to buy one at the start of the season' bit out of it.

I understand that DD is only a trail in the Midlands and Bristol, I think! However, it is an excellent idea.

Ziptrev:

You cannot buy the concessionary half priced disabled ticket over the internet!

You have to take proof to the post office!

Surely they could link to the DHSS computer and save those with most problems of getting to a Post Office that chore!

In the U.S. we.d have a discrimination case going now!

Zip

The chances of the EA being able to link to the DSS computer are zero! Trying to get any computer information from the DSS is like banging your head against a wall. The first point is that it's private information and they can't hand it out to just anybody. The links to outside systems are extremely limited, even to other Government bodies like Inland Revenue, Courts, Police etc. The second point is that they screw up practically every computer system they touch because all the decisions are made by committee and subject to the whims of politicians. I worked on a project that incorporated a large chunk of work to pass data too and from the DSS as agreed by a previous government. The trial was up and working nicely (and saving them a fortune in benefit fraud) when the DSS suddenly announced they weren't ready to go ahead which resulted in the whole part of the project being canned and cost the company I was working for somewhere in the region of £180 million with no compensation! Yet right until the cancellation they were telling everybody it was all systems go!! It didn't appear like that in the papers of course - the failure was put down to our part of the system not working (which it did!) - no mention of DSS incompetance and having done bugger all to try and make it work at their end, because of course that would have looked bad for the politicians responsible!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

it always amazes me the sheer incompetance the gov bodies show i.e the air traffic control ,it was a software problem ,why cant the gov bodies that order such systems ,use clauses that state a finishing time for the order ,a single day over that time then the companies involved have a 1 million a day fine ,after a week the managing director of that company is imprisoned another week his wife and children are deported to the falklands ,a month and he is publicley executed ,but no it goes on and on and on ,and ofcourse sack,fine,shave,hack hands off and crucify the useless twits who order it in the first place .

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i bought mine at the local post office ,quick,no fuss

and no names on a computer.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

chesters1:

i bought mine at the local post office ,quick,no fuss

and no names on a computer.

And guess whose system I was working on when the DSS pulled the above mentioned plug??? Yup, the PO. And you've me to thank for the fact that your receipt says 'Coarse' rather than 'Course' - the first bug raised on the system!

chesters1:

it always amazes me the sheer incompetance the gov bodies show i.e the air traffic control ,it was a software problem ,why cant the gov bodies that order such systems ,use clauses that state a finishing time for the order ,a single day over that time then the companies involved have a 1 million a day fine ,after a week the managing director of that company is imprisoned another week his wife and children are deported to the falklands ,a month and he is publicley executed ,but no it goes on and on and on ,and ofcourse sack,fine,shave,hack hands off and crucify the useless twits who order it in the first place .

The above things would be fine, except for one thing. When dealing with customers like this they never tell you what they actually want! This is mainly because they don't know, and thus they continually come up with new requirements that they think can be simply slotted into the system that you're building. And then when you've finally finished a part they look at it and decide that no, that wasn't quite what they had in mind even though it matches the specification 100%! The company I'm working for at the moment is trying to come to an agreement with a Government department for precisely this reason - the 'simple' changes they want would cost us almost as much as we've already done! There is of course another reason why projects fail or overrun - most sensible companies won't touch projects like these with a bargepole - they simply aren't worth the time and the effort (I doubt my company will again!).