28th June Chieftain (70 hour trip)

mr motorola

June 28th (70 hour trip)

The annual outing of the Hemsworth gang was upon us again , along the course of the last 12 months we had lost a very dear fisherman AND friend in Harry Bentham which i’m sure some of the Whitby lads reading this will have known.

The trip was a little delayed in departing due to an accident with another party member , Jim Hendry ; he had taken a fall and dislocated his shoulder having him being ushered into an ambulance and taken to Scarborough A+E for x-rays (wish you a speedy recovery Jim)

The usual banter was thrown around the boat on our departure along with setting up the ‘sweep’ for the biggest fish!!

1st day of fishing.

The call came over the intercom at around 5.55am to get dressed and get ready for fishing , some bleary eyed anglers arrived on deck a little worse for wear from the previous nights drinking , self inflicted and no sympathy!! We were fishing a collection of wrecks known as the “question mark” aptly named because of the layout of the wrecks on the plotter.

Plenty and i mean PLENTY of fish coming up around the 8-10 pound stamp on the 1st wreck; just right when all you can see are bloodshot eyes in your so called “fishing gang” shame shame boys tut tut.

Doubles were the mainstay of the 2nd wreck we hit , double figures and double cod too. The fishing continued on pretty much the same course all day long and into the night when we arrived at our last wreck at 9:40pm we took around an hour to finish that one off before the skipper said THATS IT BED TIME LADS.

Biggest fish of day 1 Dale Price , Cod 23lb

2nd day of fishing

After a very long day of fishing the previous day (16 hours give or take) the early shout at 5:00am came as a bit of a mortuary call than a wake-up call i can tell you , especially for yours truely as i did most of the gutting and filleting for our gang of 5 anglers.

One saving grace was that the depth of water wasn’t all that deep , 50 – 70 feet at most , easy fishing but boy oh boy do you feel the fish take and run more!!!!!

The second day provided pretty much the same as the first day fishing wise but with more and more doubles and trebles being caught. I personally thought i had hooked the sweep winner until i saw the beautiful colours shining through the water as they near the top.....2 x 14lb and 1 x 12lb cod on the same drop , i’m not complaining about 40lb of cod but i would have liked it even better if it only had 2 eyes instead of 6.

Going back to our gang of lads , as already stated we had lost Harry earlier this year and the next oldest was Reg Lunn (Harrys Cousin) at the ripe old age of 75 he had never broken his 20lb mark , along with his words to me the previous night that this will be his last trip due to ill health and COPD it was with sheer delight that he did 2 things on the 2nd day of fishing........1 won the days sweep 2 won it with a 22lb cod!!! 2 birds with one stone , well done Reg

Biggest fish of Day 2 Reg Lunn Cod 22lb

Sorry for the lack of real detail to things guys but i’m absolutely knackered and worn out , it also didn’t help falling asleep downstairs on my return home , definite no no that one!!!

Heres a few pictures....

002.jpg

Reg Lunn , broke his duck 75 years young , 22lb Cod.

006.jpg

Lol Senior , big double.

010.jpg

Rob Ryalls with another big combo

34269_1476221272846_1453162765_3126.jpg

Dale Price with his sweep winner on day 1

37333_1476217712757_1453162765_3126.jpg

Dave Easton , 19lb Cod

005.jpg

Mr M with a lunker

37417_1476212752633_1453162765_3126.jpg

It's thirsty work fishing you know......

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Wow, some good cod there! Great report and photos, what a good trip!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Cheers Worms , i've just managed to put a little video montage together for the lads but i'll share it on here before i head off up the golden staircase...my bed is calling double time. Night night all , enjoy.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Hi Karl

Nice report and photos.

Great to see you and your pals getting stuck in.

I am looking forward to the 120 hr trip on the 1st of August.

I am also hoping to fish the Hartlepool open boat contest on the 10 of this month.

I won the last one with a 19.5lb ling.

Really sorry to hear about Harry but I am sure he will be fishing that big pond in the sky.

Nice well detailed report Karl. I'd love to go on one of these long trips myself, but work keeps getting in the way every time.

Top angling, good company, beer, good food, bed.

Sounds an excellent combination to me :rolleyes:

Alan

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Thanks for sharing the trip with us Mr M, nice one. :D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Cheers Worms , i've just managed to put a little video montage together for the lads but i'll share it on here before i head off up the golden staircase...my bed is calling double time. Night night all , enjoy.

Hi Karl

Very sad and sorry to hear of the loss of the legend that was Harry Bentham, a man who lived at least two life times in the one, an inspiration to anyone who meets adversaties through life.R.I.P Harry.

The trip looks a good one, was that you fishing the patio? if so I assume you miximize its potential !!!!

Keep up the good work

Regards

Paddy W

Hi Karl

Very sad and sorry to hear of the loss of the legend that was Harry Bentham, a man who lived at least two life times in the one, an inspiration to anyone who meets adversaties through life.R.I.P Harry.

The trip looks a good one, was that you fishing the patio? if so I assume you miximize its potential !!!!

Keep up the good work

Regards

Paddy W

Evening Charlie , i hope all is well over in Ireland?

Thanks for the words on Harry he will be very sorely missed (as a dear friend AND as our lure tying magician) he always had time for novices and accomplished anglers alike , as you witnessed first hand. Yes also , you are right i was fishing the patio....not my usual spot but i am growing on the idea......very handy to 'throw out' to beat the rest of the boat into fish and also greedy if you fancy an extra drop. I'm not sure if you have heard about Jim Hendrys misdemeanour , i'll PM you the full details.

Carl.