British Records.. -Closed season.

adamg

Hi all just a quick thought for the day, with a lot of waters now staying open during the traditional closed season should any fish that is caught over the its species current weight record be counted as a new record? After all depending on the species the total weight of the fish could be significantly increased due to the amount spawn it maybe carrying..

Tight lines,

Adam

Are their two questions here?

Should any fish laden with spawn count as new records? (Spawn laden fish are caught in the traditional season as well!)

Should fish caught outside of the traditional season count as records?

I believe that a record is just that... a record. It is a note of an historical event, something that has happened. Once done it cannot be undone!

If you wish to maintain a list of biggest fish caught based on a specific set of criteria however eg. In the traditional season, not spawn bound etc. then that is a different matter. To some extent I think this already happens in terms of some fish being 'recognised' by one body and not another.

If you are talking about the largest fish of a species ever caught in Britain however, then I do not believe you have a choice, what is done is done.

Adam,

I would concur with Daves' post as a record is just that, a record of a capture. Also when is a fish spawnbound ? The answer is that it depends on the fish as to the time of year; Pike maybe full in the winter (open season) whereas carp may well not spawn until July or Aug, or even not at all.

Rob.

It is an offence to fish for "unclean" fish, in or out of season. The simple answer is,if the fish are about to spawn or are recovering from the process, return them as quikly as possible, without the extra stress of being weighed,or do as you should do, dont fish!

Jym Martini - does this mean you only fish during winter?

Fish can be egging up, getting ready to spawn, and be recently post spawn during most of the year.

Most will be spawning during a fairly limited period of time but there will be some species thinking "it is time" from early spring thru much of the summer.

Others will simply be out of synch and spawn later than usual.

And where did the "unclean" thing come from?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Jym - several comments here

1. I was trying to make the point that you really cannot be sure to avoid spawning fish or those heavy with spawn who have carried the roe way past time for some reason.

2. I am not aware of any studies that indicate a female heavy with roe is more delicate than at other times. In fact, considering the way carp behave during the spawn (males knocking the females about to cause release of the eggs) I strongly doubt they would be else female carp would probably not survive the spawn and they surely seem to.

3. I still have no idea where your "offense" and "unclean" comment came from.

4. And FWIW, I don't even carry scales with me when I go fishing. Camera - yes but no need for the scales.

Anyway - how about we agree that I will fish during the spawn and you will think it a bad idea. Although I gotta say that where I fish, carp don't bite worth a darn then and I usually fish for largemouth bass since they have finished their spawn and are trying hard to put weight back on so they bite really well.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, Unclean is an expression used for generations. This quote from the EA. is about salmon but applies to all fish:-

An "unclean" fish is one which is about to spawn, is spawning, or which has recently spawned and has not yet recovered. Such fish will be dark in colour with red spots on their gill covers. Their fins may be ragged, and eggs or milt (a white milky substance) may run from the vent. A fish which has spawned is called a kelt and will be very thin and of no food value.

Hope this clarifies things for you. just another old country thing :D

Jym Martini,I may have the wrong end of the stick here,but where have you got the information that Quote"it is an offence to fish for "unclean" fish,in or out of season" Unquote?.

Is it an environment agency bye law?,or a rule that is an option to riperian owners? I have checked on my rod licenses,and cannot find it on there.I may be missing something here,but in the club that I`m in no member would fish when the fish are spawning. In the case of carp you don`t get thier attention to the bait any way,they are more interested in procreation than feeding,the same can be said of tench aswell.Many years ago ,I arrived at a water to fish,just as it was breaking day light I became aware that the reeds on the other side of the canal were moving like mad,so i looked more closely and the tench were spawning. I retrieved my tackle and sat watching them for maybe 3 hours.I moved about,smoked,drank coffee etc and wasn`t that secretive about my presence, but nothing put them off; so would they realy be interested in feeding when they are spawning any-way?

By your statement "use your head" I assume that you mean use discretion?. I would say that every-one who is a member of Anglers Net is intelligent enough to do just that.

Ever-one don`t forget is entilled to their opinion,& one`s opinion is one`s opinion,never try to force your opinion onto them it just cause`s arguments and ill feeling. :):):)

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"