Bread paste boilies?

andy_youngs

I've had this idea of making bread paste balls, about the size of a marble, boiling them for a couple minutes, and then fishing them on a hair rig. Numerous target species .... mullet, bream, tench, carp, big roach. Anyone tried it before?

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

I've had this idea of making bread paste balls, about the size of a marble, boiling them for a couple minutes, and then fishing them on a hair rig. Numerous target species .... mullet, bream, tench, carp, big roach. Anyone tried it before?

Andy, you could make them by using liquidised bread inside Armamesh. Boiling bread will leave you with a sloppy mess !

ok guys, when I read your posts I went through to the kitchen and pulled out a couple of slices of white bread which is a bit stale (being a bachelor, most of the food stuffs in my kitchen are a few days out of date).

Remove the crust, run under the cold tap until sodden, and then nead into a stiff paste. At this point you can add sugar / almond essence or flavouring as desired, but I really don't think it's necessary.

Roll into small balls and then drop in a pan of boiling water for 2 mins.

What you end up with are rubbery balls which are perfectly usable on a hair rig. They're not as solid as conventional boilies, but you can toughen them up by leaving them to breath in the open air overnight. As to having to add eggs Grumpybum .... I don't think so.

Try them - I bet you a pound to penny they work a damn sight better the high protein boilies you're spending your hard earned dosh on down in the local rip off tackle shop.

And for those who normally fish bread flake straight on the hook, this is a way of fishing bread on a hair rig - far more effective. We often forget how often fish will 'mouth' a bait first to see if they can detect a hook.

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

ok guys, when I read your posts I went through to the kitchen and pulled out a couple of slices of white bread which is a bit stale (being a bachelor, most of the food stuffs in my kitchen are a few days out of date).

Remove the crust, run under the cold tap until sodden, and then nead into a stiff paste. At this point you can add sugar / almond essence or flavouring as desired, but I really don't think it's necessary.

Roll into small balls and then drop in a pan of boiling water for 2 mins.

What you end up with are rubbery balls which are perfectly usable on a hair rig. They're not as solid as conventional boilies, but you can toughen them up by leaving them to breath in the open air overnight. As to having to add eggs Grumpybum .... I don't think so.

Try them - I bet you a pound to penny they work a damn sight better the high protein boilies you're spending your hard earned dosh on down in the local rip off tackle shop.

And for those who normally fish bread flake straight on the hook, this is a way of fishing bread on a hair rig - far more effective. We often forget how often fish will 'mouth' a bait first to see if they can detect a hook.

Sounds fun Andy, might just give it a go. Did you use the bread from a proper loaf or slices from one of the plastic cheapo loaves ?

Sounds fun Andy, might just give it a go. Did you use the bread from a proper loaf or slices from one of the plastic cheapo loaves ?

Slices from a cheapo white loaf, gone stale (the bachelors staple diet).

It's not really that much of a revelation. It's what they've doing in India for years .... just boil balls of atta paste until it turns rubbery. It's then referred to as raggi.

The advantage when mahseer fishing is that it is not only possible to fish it on a hair rig, but you also have some assurance that it will be correctly presented for several hours when fishing in fast water. Mahseer and barbel are very closely related. I reckon it's a fairly sure bet that tench, carp, bream, roach and mullet would also be suckered in ...

The interesting problem that I'm experimenting with at the moment is how to make it bouyant.

Edited by andy_youngs

It does sound interesting Andy...I wonder if you could flavour it with something like robin red ?

I'm sure you could Tigger. as long as you knew what robin red was. I'm afraid I would need your help over that

• 2 months later...
To make boilies you need egg in the mix. Its the egg that hardens as its boiled. Bread paste will just disintegrate if placed in boiling water.

You've been given a bit of a bum steer here Andy. Making a bread "boilie" has been about for many centuries! Many olden day writers wrote of "dough balls (ie compressed bread dipped into boiling water for a few seconds). Ive use it for carp and tench.

Also Grumpybum even though most boilie recipes use egg a lot of commercially made ones dont! But Im possibly being a little pedantic here! :P

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Is it any wonder you are still single :P

Me thinks your being a tad presumptious there teme man, I may fish with a maggot but I can assure you that the bread paste balls are attached to a steel hook with a chemically sharpened barb.

Edited by andy_youngs