Hooklength For Carp?

Elton

Posted on behalf of dd. Please add all replies to this thread:

would 6lb line straight through to the hook be ok for float fishing for carp? Or do i need a hook-length? Thanks

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

If I am float fishing for small Carp I use 4lb at a length of 8" and 8lb when bottom feeding, feeder, ledgering at a length of 12".

However, I.M.O, if there is the possibility of catching bigger fish and you intend to catch bigger fish, say 15lb+, then use 6lb for floating and 10lb for ledgering.

ok thanks for all your help, much appreciated :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

ok thanks for all your help, much appreciated :)

Dave,

FYI, at the top-right of the forum, when you go to the list of all topics in it (i.e. when you enter the coarse fishing forum), there's a 'NEW TOPIC' button. If you use that, your questions will appear automatically. The way you're doing it at the moment relies on me reading my emails. As I'm lying by a pool on holiday this second, that may result in a delay :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Dave,

FYI, at the top-right of the forum, when you go to the list of all topics in it (i.e. when you enter the coarse fishing forum), there's a 'NEW TOPIC' button. If you use that, your questions will appear automatically. The way you're doing it at the moment relies on me reading my emails. As I'm lying by a pool on holiday this second, that may result in a delay :)

oh sorry i didnt realise you had to do it manually, i'll use the new topic button from now on. Thanks very much :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

For puddle carp, I fish 6lb straight through all the time BUT I always use float stops, which an angry carp should slip a float off no problem. I must add that I wouldn't add shot either or that just defeats the point in using stop only.

Stop - Self-cocking pellet waggler float - Stop - Size 12-10 Drennan Carp Hook or Kamasan Animal........that's it. Casts as far as you can see a float tip anyway and the hook is heavy enough to sink the bait.

Great for pellets, prawn, bread, corn etc. and you can switch the depth in seconds. I use it for fishing anywhere between 8" and 8 feet.

If using shot, use a hooklength and it's a good idea to pinch shot onto a piece of pole rubber, which you've slipped onto your mainline. This prevents line damage and it helps when moving shot up and down. It also helps carp slip the shot off in the unlikely event that you suffer a mainline break.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

thanks for all your help, very useful :)