Mitchell Reels - 300x etc.

Spindle

I've just ordered a 300X Pro on the strength of pretty pictures, good reviews, being a mitchell fan, and having money to burn.

Any opinions? Is the Pro much better than the standard model? I've seen a picture of it on a french website and it had a nice wooden handle - is this the same model we get in the UK? I always wanted, but never did get, the old 300Pro, so hopefully this will make up for it. :D

While on the subject of mitchell reels, something I've always wondered about the Predator Electric and other such "electronic bite alarm reels". Assuming the reel sounds an alarm when line is pulled from the reel... what happens if the run is a drop-back? Nothing? Is this not dangerous with regards to deep-hooking and missed runs? :confused:

Spindle - I have recently gotten two of the 300x reels.

Best I can say is they are built like, and operate like they cost 4 or 5 times more than I paid.

Nice, solid reels. Spool up well. Cast nicely (used one for a full day's lure flinging), the anti-reverse is instant.

I have one of the spools filled with 10lb b/s line and the other with 20.

I used the regular 300s for some years and loved them. These work better. I just hope they hold up as long as the 300s did though. You almost had to lose one of the things or give it away because except for the stupid bail return spring, they just didn't fail.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

iv'e had that problem with Mitchell Quartz closed face reel introduced in a blaze of glory a couple of years ago any one else had it happen to them the model ive got is the 350 can be used for feeder fishing has well.the whole lot came away not the spool the spool holder. :mad: :mad:

Cheer's Larry

http://www.larrysworld.co.uk

mailto:larry@larrysworld.co.uk

Dragonbat:

300,410,306,386 the list goes on and on and a match all right hand wind

Dragonbat - if I understood what you posted (and not at all sure about that), the 300x can be quickly set up for right hand or left hand retrieve.

And FWIW, I have tried some of the other numbers and didn't like them much. I do like the 300x quite a lot. Easy to change spools quickly and WITHOUT altering the clutch setting which is nice. Anti-reverse really is "instant" and there is no backwards movement of spool or handle. And so on.

I have been using fixed spool reels since around 1958 or so and I know quickly if I like a reel or not. This one may not suit you but I like it - a lot. There are better reels out there but not for anything like the same price. I have to get up over $200 to find one I like as well and the 300x is around $40.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Anybody know where you can get spare spools for the 300X (perhaps other than the sizes that it's supplied with, such as a shallow match spool)? Are they interchangeable with other Mitchell Concept reels?

By the way, I highly highly recommend the 300X Pro... smooth as a smoothy smooth thing that has recently been fed through a smoother! And quite lovely looking too! Kind of like my wife :) Aaah

Well pleased with my 300X reels. Purrfect! Can't fault them 'cept the spools don't have line clips for clipping the line in storage. Same complaint for the ABU Sevaran reel.

Re the Mitchell Predator, real fish killer design I reckon. Unless someone can convince me that it will indicate drop backs etc then I think this is one concept that should never have left the drawing board.