LOADING BRAID

MikeyP

I have just purchased 600yds of braid but I am having problems loading it onto my reels. When I loaded it on it didn't look right and was loose and didn't evenly fill the spool. Is there a different way of loading braid to mono and would it help if I used a backing instead of just filling with braid?

MikeyP:

I have just purchased 600yds of braid but I am having problems loading it onto my reels. When I loaded it on it didn't look right and was loose and didn't evenly fill the spool. Is there a different way of loading braid to mono and would it help if I used a backing instead of just filling with braid?

Mikey,

questions to your question, did you load the line under tension and through a couple of eyes of the rod?

Did you unload the line from the "face of the spool" or did you put a pencil through the middle of the spool of line and run it off the spool from the "top" of the spool?

You said it did not evenly fill the spool, does this mean that the line was bunched at the top or bottom of the spool?

Answer these and I am sure you will get a further response.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Mikey, it will help you no end if you first tie mono to the spool and connect the braid too this.

The reason is the stretch of the mono will lock tight to the spool when placed under tension.

I have seen many people ( including myself) think the clutch wasn't working, when in fact the line was just turning on the spool, because of braid being tied direct to the spool.

As Alan says you must load the braid under reasonable tension, otherwise it can bed in later

adding to casting problems.

If you are in an open place, tie the line to a post, and walk backwards, then reel in under constant tension to spool up nice and neat

And no, this guy didn't buy the braid from me, it happens to all braid.

all the best

Dan

Danny H:

Mikey, it will help you no end if you first tie mono to the spool and connect the braid too this.

The reason is the stretch of the mono will lock tight to the spool when placed under tension.

I have seen many people ( including myself) think the clutch wasn't working, when in fact the line was just turning on the spool, because of braid being tied direct to the spool.

You can get the same effect by putting a wrap of electrician's tape (the black plastic stuff) around the spool before you start putting on the line.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Welcome to yhe forum :D:D:D

There is a line loader on sale in tackle shops easy to use,fit on your rod, put spool of line onto gadget hey presto perfect line thread :D

Another one for the tackle tarts

Tight lines to all

Jangar

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

MikeyP,

What reel?

You got any braid left?

It is nearly impossible to redo once it is on the reel.

You can't put it onto the spool too tight. I mean the tighter the better.

Braid will show you bail pickup mis-alignment quicker than full mono if you are using a spincast. Sure your reel is in good shape?

Phone.

I had a lot of problems when I first started using braid on a fixed spool reel for lure fishing.

Casting, the braid would come off the spool several turns at a time, leading to constant birdnesting.

New braid was worse.

Initially, I found that it helped to reload the braid under tension at the start of each session.

I'd do that by snagging a fence post, then walk away spooling off all of the line. Then I'd walk back, winding in and fighting the fence-post!

(I did get some funny looks from passing boaters, trying to see if I'd hooked a rabbit or something!)

The problems would mostly occur when casting into wind, or with a strong side wind. This would put a bow into the line which would be wound back on under loose tension, followed by coils under greater tension as the lure started to bite.

The line under strong tension would sink between the coils of loosely wound line, and on the next cast, they would all come off the spool together.

What I did notice later was that the problem was worse with some reels. Choose a reel with a long spool and an excellent line lay, and the chances of bird nesting are greatly reduced.

Or better still, use a multiplier and save the fixed spool reel for casting lightweight tackle only.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Nice one Allan :D:D

Got any big uns yet

Tight lines to all

Jangar :D:D:D:D

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

jangar:

Nice one Allan    :D        :D    

Got any big uns yet

Tight lines to all

Jangar    :D       :

Janger me old mukker, one L please, just think of Alan as 1L of a would be tart or 1L of an old tart, that way when you type my name, 1L should spring to mind. :P

Al :D an (nl)

Sorry to stray from the original thread

[ 23 February 2002, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/