Nutz!

OregonDave

I see from last year's log I hit the local gravel pit on February 22, 2001 and, "Caught two carp about 18" long on corn, using 8 lb line and steelhead rod. Good fight. Partly sunny weather."

If I slink out tomorrow, on February 25, 2002, and fish the local gravel pit, will that be the same as celebrating my introduction to carp fishing on February 22, 2001?

Nope.

But I got a can of corn, and this year I start with a 13' Leeda Assisin Carp Match rod , along with some clear floats. Will I use 2 lb line or 4 lb line? The weather is partly sunny.

Phone - Thanks for inquiring. Unfortunately, I've fallen prey to the siren song of "airgunz". I think I picked up that link here (I won't mention any names of course, but I think his initials are Pike Angler. :D )

Curious how a piece of paper with some circles drawn on it can capture the imagination. Mostly it's the agony of defeat right now. :(

Of course, the folks in town do look upon me with pity: "Thet there boy done loss his mine! Fishus fer carp anna shootsa BBgun!"

Well, uh... :confused:

DaveK

Well it is good to see you back in circulation OD.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt!

After reading about the 20m floating pole, guess I'll stick around more.

I also bought a Shakespeare "UgglyStick" - 9' spinning rod rated for 4-20 lb line! For $35.00 plus shipping from Cabela's, this may be a good entry level "long" carp rod over here. It has that certain uncontrolable-slide-down-the-bank-and-not-break-the-rod-feel. Ya know?

Dave

I love the ugly stiks for every thing except serious lure fishing. They just don't feel great with 400-500 casts a day. For all sorts of bait work though, hard to beat.

I know the UK guys have those great long rods and can cast from here to the middle of next week but since I don't ever need over 30-40 yards, any decent rod will do the trick.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

I love the ugly stiks for every thing except serious lure fishing.  They just don't feel great with 400-500 casts a day.  For all sorts of bait work though, hard to beat.

I know the UK guys have those great long rods and can cast from here to the middle of next week but since I don't ever need over 30-40 yards, any decent rod will do the trick.

Pleased to meet you OregonDave :D

30-40 yards Newt how about 200yards plus sound?

Some of the beach anglers are capable of this distance

Keep it coming you old fud{LoL}

Jangar

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Jangar - I know you folks do some great distance casting. And in some waters you need to.

For me, I just make sure the boat is close enough that my 30-40 yd casts get me to where I want to be. :)

Rods to me are much like autos - get one that suits your driving style. If I drove in Europe where there are very high - or even no - speed limits, I might want a rocket that would go 130mph. As it is though, I will never see a road with a speed limit above 75mph so my truck which will do 80 pulling my boat and will carry whatever I need to pretty much wherever I want suits me fine.

Thanks for the hello jangar!

The new rod (Uggly Stick) was officially broken in this morning with my usual, self-imposed, 2 carp limit. Dandy carp on a dandy rod! :) Of course, I was fishing about 6' out and 3' down with a float at my local gravel pit, so casting wasn't a problem. Used canned corn soaked in strawberry soda. Out at 10:00 AM in the sunshine, and back by noon. Lost a brand new Drennan Giant Crystal float. :( Too bad Drennan doesn't have a retailer over here, now that I know what the Crystals are.

OregonDave