Roland

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Roland,

Take a look at the Polaris float

http://www.ultrafloats.co.uk/products.php?cat=47

This enables you to leger without plumping th depth. The float free runs on your line however when the line is tight, it wont move. So you put the relevent weight on the end of the line (the weight depends which size float you get), cast out, reel in until the float sets in place and away you go :)

Regards,

Craig

Hi again Ben, I think the float your mate is on about, is the polaris that Craig mentions in his post.

You can leger with a float rod, but be careful how much weight you put on it, and try and cast with a gentle lob, rather than a full blown cast. As many have said the margins, or drop-offs close in, are as good a place as any to catch. It just needs a quiet approach, and no banging about while fishing.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, i'm off out fishing again tomorrow and have a couple of questions (well a few)

I was wandering round a local tackle shop this morning to pick up a few bits. I bought a couple of leger weights, a couple of bank sticks and generally had a good old wander.

Looking round there are lots and lots of pre made rigs available to buy, I just wondered what they are for? Is it sheer convenience? or are there special reasons?

I saw a lot of "stoppers" and "rubbers" for floats and bombs, I understand their concept but what benefit do these have over shot etc?

also varying weights of line, I know what the strength of line in lbs means, however is there a general conversion as to what weight of fish the line can handle. e.g 8lb can hold a max 20lb fish?

with using heavier line, do you have spare spools that clip onto your reel? if so are they universal or for specific product?

Cheers

Ben

One tip that I can give is to use float adapters so that you can very easily change the depth you are fishing at and change the actual float itself as the float is connected (well the one I have) using a snaplink. Infact using snaplinks and ready made rigs can save a lot of time when changing things around, trying different sized hooks, etc. The bait I seem to have the most luck with is bacon grill and it keeps its form very well although I used fair sized chunks to try and deter the smaller fish. On Monday, with my float rod fishing the margins with a 6g pellet waggler float and 6lb line and size 10 hook I pulled in a 11lb Mirror Carp. My personal best. Got nowt on the ledger rod!

Gary.

One tip that I can give is to use float adapters so that you can very easily change the depth you are fishing at and change the actual float itself as the float is connected (well the one I have) using a snaplink. Infact using snaplinks and ready made rigs can save a lot of time when changing things around, trying different sized hooks, etc. The bait I seem to have the most luck with is bacon grill and it keeps its form very well although I used fair sized chunks to try and deter the smaller fish. On Monday, with my float rod fishing the margins with a 6g pellet waggler float and 6lb line and size 10 hook I pulled in a 11lb Mirror Carp. My personal best. Got nowt on the ledger rod!

Gary.

Thanks Gary, Had a go with the float adaptors and the pre made hook lines. Made things a touch easier.

So my third fishing trip was very relaxing. I bought myself a new chair. Sturdy enough to hold me for a few hours. Weather was lovely, nice and cool with good sunshine. I had been to the tackle shop days previous to experiment with some legering.

First thing I did was set up a basic/idiots rig. Casting far was fun but obviously it was difficult to tell a bite with a coarse rod and going on touch. I swapped between leger and float throughout the dayand caught a couple of different breeds. I believe I caught a small Rudd, a chubb and some silver bream. 14 fish in all, nothing over 2lbs

Funniest moment of the day was fishing witht he leger approx 20 feet out. All of a sudden I thought I had a bite. Strike! very strong pull on the line and fought for 10 minutes only to find I was making the fish fight myself by being hooked and a tree root instead of a fish :rolleyes:

So things to do before the next trip:

Some variations on hook and bait sizes, i'd like to catch bigger fish at some stage.

Another rod and reel, just to have two in the water. One leger and the float for fun.

Buy a rod pod and bite alarm, anyone point me in the direction of a bargain?

cheers

Ben

Thanks Gary, Had a go with the float adaptors and the pre made hook lines. Made things a touch easier.

So my third fishing trip was very relaxing. I bought myself a new chair. Sturdy enough to hold me for a few hours. Weather was lovely, nice and cool with good sunshine. I had been to the tackle shop days previous to experiment with some legering.

First thing I did was set up a basic/idiots rig. Casting far was fun but obviously it was difficult to tell a bite with a coarse rod and going on touch. I swapped between leger and float throughout the dayand caught a couple of different breeds. I believe I caught a small Rudd, a chubb and some silver bream. 14 fish in all, nothing over 2lbs

Funniest moment of the day was fishing witht he leger approx 20 feet out. All of a sudden I thought I had a bite. Strike! very strong pull on the line and fought for 10 minutes only to find I was making the fish fight myself by being hooked and a tree root instead of a fish :rolleyes:

So things to do before the next trip:

Some variations on hook and bait sizes, i'd like to catch bigger fish at some stage.

Another rod and reel, just to have two in the water. One leger and the float for fun.

Buy a rod pod and bite alarm, anyone point me in the direction of a bargain?

cheers

Ben

There are lots of float adapters but the ones I have and think are great are the ones from A&E Angling, here on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Feeder-Splasher-Pell...=item35a7d65a9e

I've only really float fished up until recently and have just got into ledgering (been out 3 sessions so far) and the last one things started to come together (decided to use a method feeder) and I got a 9.7lb Carp and two more around 3lb during 4hrs. The 9.7lb carp was 10mins after I first cast out! I stick the ledger rod out and then have fun in the margins with the float rod trying out different baits, etc. I bought myself a Fox Warrior Z 2.75 TC Carp Rod for about £50, JRC XLITE Rod Pod (which is the nuts) for about the same amount and a Fox Micron Bite alarm which seems to work great, OK it has no tone control but it was only £20. I have used this site to gen up on different tactics and there is so much info a mere Google search away.

Classic re the tree root, we've all been there. I thought I was pulling a fish in only to find someone else's rig attached and someone else thought they were playing a fish on the other side of the lake!

Thanks Gary, atleast I wasnt along then!

Went into the tackle shop earlier between work. Walked out 45 minutes later with a carp rod, new reel and a few other bits! It's addictive I tell you!

Great tackle shop though, Harefield tackle is Harefield funnily enough. Couldnt have been happier with the advice and time took to help a novice me :)

Thanks Gary, atleast I wasnt along then!

Went into the tackle shop earlier between work. Walked out 45 minutes later with a carp rod, new reel and a few other bits! It's addictive I tell you!

Great tackle shop though, Harefield tackle is Harefield funnily enough. Couldnt have been happier with the advice and time took to help a novice me :)

Yes it is addictive! I have been and got a fishing umbrella today, got absolutely soaked a few weeks ago and don't want that to happen again. Let us know how you get on.....

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Back again with a barrage of questions!

Carping has been difficult for me especially with the weather changing. Recently I've been float fishing purely just to catch fish which has been good. Generally im using a traditional float, shotted up and plumbing the depth. Which I have been finding a little annoying. Purely because I can't quite get the depth right and I sit there thinking about the depth again or shot setup (too much time on my hands watching the water!)

I have only heard of these but don't know where to look. something called a self cocking waggler float? I know the polaris float mentioned a few posts up is something along those lines. I just wondered if there is a minature version?

How are they put on the line?

Are they fastened on at all? If so with shot? or something else?

I'd really like to have a go at these, so advice and help is greatly appreciated :)