tench problem

edd

jeepster:

sure it's not decaying matter under the silt? or grubs grubbing about? all i'm saying is that i've spent too long chasing gas

Pretty sure, yes. They're very distinctive, and I've never seen them occur in waters which don't have a head of good-sized tench. When the water has been more coloured, they've also been a reliable indicator of imminent bites.

You also get far more of them in a fed swim than in an unfed one; we're talking often five or six sets going concurrently, which you very rarely see otherwise, and you don't usually see them outside of normal tench feeding times. The case for the prosecution rests, m'lud. It woz the tench wot done it :)

To be honest, before I moved darn sarf, I'd never seen bubbles like this, despite 20 odd years of fishing sometimes on waters containing a lot of small tench. I'd watched carp in clear water kicking up huge mushroom clouds of silt, but no bubbles like this.

First session on one of the tench pits down here, and there they were, exactly as the books describe them. I don't know whether it requires a certain kind of bottom, or a certain size of tench, but they are unmistakeable.

The only other thing I've seen raise similar bubbles (but in smaller patches) is a duck diving and feeding off the bottom.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edd,get yourself some fishmeal based groundbait

and some mollasis mix the groundbait add in some demeria or unrefined suger(brown)then add some mollasis to your water then mix with the dry mix your hemp and pellets(as they're obviously eating

them) perhaps add in some red corn and hook bait

samples,the trick is to get it to a consistancy that will stay firm enough to be fired out but will quickly break down in the water and be fine enougth to be a cloudy mass when disturbed by the

tench.

tips.

wet your groundbait with the mollassis laced water then sieve several times to remove lumps &

inject some air into it then add your free offers

hemp,pellets red corn etc

try using mini popped up boilies or red maggots ,

corn, bannana pellets (use a meat punch to make out of 1in thick slices)hair riged or on the hook

i hope this is of help

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I havent read the entire thread, so sorry if Im repeating old stuff.

In summer tench are very annoying, they become preoccupied very easily.

You need an 'in your face' method that appeals to their basic instinct - to eat.

What better method than The Method, for getting thier attention?

Light coloured baits, not necessarily corn, are great, boilies, bread, bright pop-ups, fake red or white maggots... will all catch fish, but the essential part is the in your faceness of the method!

I have had days like you described edd and have decided to put it down to the fact that another angler had recentley fished the same swim and the tench are to occupied with the ground bait that was fed and the combination of hook bait used which perhaps differed from the bait I had available.

just one more cast then I'am off home

Edd, for my money jak and several other contributors have got the solution.

Stick with your hemp groundbait. Set up a feeder rig with a short hook link and an artificial maggot. Put a hemp and caster or maggot mix in the feeder and have a good day.

Pete

[ 23. July 2005, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Pete Elleray ]

• 2 weeks later...

we get the exact same thing happening up here on the forth & clyde canal. The trick we seem to find that works, is about 5 red maggot on hook, and them blast pinkie on top of the feeding(fizzing) fish , and stick your hook bait directly on top of them, always seems to do the trick and you can get the fizzing fish that you werent getting bites from before.