SAA, NFA, NAA and the rivers close season..?....

STEVE POPE

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All,

It is always very interesting to note how threads twist and turn away from their original content.

I must say, I am guilty as anyone for partaking in this practice. Someone comes in and says something or gives an opinion, and its open season for all. Dont get me wrong, I quite like it that way because such topics being raised perhaps outside of the original subject contributes for the threads rich tapestry of opinions being raised.

Brian raised something about the RSSG which I feel, to be fair, I should answer.

Brain said, quite rightly by the way, that certain feelings were "running high" pre the formation of the RSSG at its first formation meeting in Essex on the 19th of January this year.

But at that meeting, it was made perfectly plain by all those in attendance, that the RSSG would NOT get involved in any "witch hunts" and furthermore, was NOT opposed to syndicate type fisheries.

I can assure everyone, the decision taken regarding syndicates was not due to anyone at the meeting wanting to see their "backs covered". Infact, it was myself that raised the subject of syndicates at the meeting giving my opinion that we should not be opposed to this type of fishery.

And I have never been a member of a syndicate on rivers nor had the majority of those in attendance at the meeting to my knowledge.

I can assure everyone, if that were not the case, I would come straight out and tell the truth.

The past, is in the past for all to either hang onto, or let go.

I am looking towards the future and the on-going future for river angling.

Fortunately for the RSSG and river angling, those that came to the first formation meeting, and the second one coming up shortly, look towards the future as well.

Regards,

Lee.

Steve. It doesn't sound democratic to me at all. It seems that you are the only person in the Barbel Society that is allowed to speak on anything. You are the chairman and have also taken it on yourself to be spokesman and press officer all in one. It seems like there is no one one else in the Barbel Society that can or is allowed to speak. You are seemingly running a personal agenda without the consent or knowledge of your members.

S.P = Self promotion.

Support for the close season though steve.

[ 16 April 2002, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Brian Talbot ]

Dear All,

Peter Waller, like myself and others on this thread, have been critical of the SAA and NAA regarding the MOU. Along the way, many topics have been raised and argued over on all sides. Long may this continue because apart from anything else, everyone inside and outside of attending angling meetings gets to know what opinions are in such a way, that otherwise might not get aired. Open season? Perhaps. Freedom of speech? Certainly. And a dose of the truthful feelings from some, can sometimes bear fruit for all concerned.

Peter says lets agree to disagree. Isn't this how all good arguments should end? But from that, should come a willingness to work together for the common good in such a way, that is perhaps within a better formed relationship than was the case before. There is always an answer, if we talk long enough and look far enough.

It is only by building bridges, we get to cross more rivers. It is only by grasping hands, we get to climb the mountain.

And if that last sentance doesn't get three quid off you Birdy, then you are as tight as Phil Hackett is.

Oops. DUCK! More ice cream from the cheap seats.

Regards,

Lee.

Peter Waller:

The PAC committee is not elected as such, do you have a problem with that Phil?

The whole PAC committee stands down after three years in office, but first they must find a new committee from some other region to replace them!

Accusations of the new committee merely being the old committee's poodles is not borne out by the bitter divisions that often develop between the outgoing and incoming committees!!

Whilst in office, the committee does meet and hear the views of 'ordinary' PAC members, however it does have the power of a dictatorship whilst in office.

The advantage of this is that it frees the guys at the sharp end from having to watch their backs, or keeping one eye on their future electoral opportunities.

They act as managers, not elected leaders.

I'd have a real problem with that set-up if it wasn't for the fact that good or bad, after 3 years, they are automatically thrown out!

Though some have attempted to avoid that problem by annexing part of the British Isles and continuing on their own!

OOOoops! I didn't mean to say that, where's the 'delete' key? No you fool, that's the 'submit' button!

AAArrghh!! The cross border piking wars are beginning :(

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Lee - so a box of chocolates or three quid in cash means you're mine does it? Cheap at the price but, please don't follow me home. I can't adopt you right now, three Burmese cats take preference. Mind you if one of the cats dies you could be in with a shout. I'll let you know.

OK, I'll make it three Gobstoppers, any colour you like - put up or shut up. The chocs are out, at least until my wife leaves me. Watch this space!

DCB

Hello to all on the board..

My first ever post here.... so here goes..

Some of you may be aware of who I am.. some may not, I am treasurer of the Barbel Society.

I have to say it saddens me not a little to see what some have stated above, and all I can say is.. you are TOTALLY INCORRECT..

I was invited to take over the post some 14 months ago, and was duly elected to do so .. by the committee.

Where did I come from..

well I was regional Organiser for the Mids region..

The committee is constantly searching for new blood to join in and give there input.. the fact is there are simply just NEVER enough people prepared to put in the amount of time & effort required...

As for Steve Pope being our spokesman.. well of course he dam well is.. everyone knows who he is, he is respected and willing to stand up and be counted when required. (and put his name to his postings...) Who the hell would take any notice of an un-known voice / angler such as myself.

As for him being a 'dictator'.. well all I can say to that is.. you should hear some of the 'somewhat heated' debate that takes place in our meetings... Amazing how loyal our membership is though??

The entire committee would resign if he left...would you like to place a bet on that one sir.. I know for certain who would lose..

Everyone on the society committe is there to better barbel fishing for EVERYONE..even those small mided ones that constantly snipe at us...

My final post on this thread ,to all those who are that interested, get hold of a copy of the BS constitution, its all in there.

As I've said before you can't please everyone.

All the best to SAA and RSSG and everyone else who does their bit for angling.

Good night and roll on June 16th.

The B.S members never had a vote on joining the S.A.A which we should.

Nor did we have a vote on that monsterous act in trying to poach ADAMS MILL.

In fact we dont vote on anything If it were not for the internet none of us would have a clue.

As for the B.S mag it may as well be a soviet newspaper it is so biased.