Fishing Reports

Does anyone go fishing in Yorks/Notts or do we all goggle at the tiny screen of the computer.I have just visited the reports page.Of which took less than two minutes to read of what is being caught and how venues are fishing.Do you go fishing ? or what.It does'nt take a minute to type a report.Come on you so called anglers lets have some info & help out fellow anglers.

Dave C. :confused:

Guest Ferret1959

Can't put any reports up as the rivers are closed for coarse fishing and I've not fished any muddy puddles or canals. Sorry.

You wait till the 16th. :)

Trup?

Member 833, A NEW Poster and you criticise US over reports and help lol

Where have you been?

Have a Derbyshire report, whilst on holiday with Newt, until the rivers open!

Lures and Takes!

Mixed Fishing was on Newts Agenda for the 2nd day we were to hit the lake.

Newt rarely fishes for ‘Brim’ now, as they are so easy once located and rarely grow in lakes above a pound!

More active fishing is achievable by lure fishing and I do mean active!

I will post soon; pictures and styles of US lure fishing, but will confine this post to what we did!

Firstly, we were using gossamer thin graphite 6and ½ ft rods with small spinning reels, but 20bs braid! (Although this is less diameter than 6lb line in the Powerpro brand favoured by Newt.

To these were attached a swivel for quick rig change and Newt and I always fished different rigs or colours, to find out what worked on the day.

Hook sizes? Forget it, a constant source of disagreement between GB and UK anglers!

ALL American hooked rigs are big sizes!

However, I am beginning to believe that it is not the hook size that’s important; it’s the aggression of the taking fish!

Our shy taking Pike may need smaller hooks for confidence, whereas the kamikaze Brim, ignore the crickets at times and hit a +2 hook!

I also believe this may be why the Kahle and Circle pattern work well on US fish, again aggression!

Will they be equally as effective when I try them at home on less brash takers?

Anyway, Newt decided on conventional plug bait, fished shallow this morning in green and here it is.

17.jpg

For me, I went for a Stump Jumper in Red and White!

So-called, this lead –headed rubber tailed lure is renowned for ‘Jumping off stumps’ and not getting snagged. The hook is shielded from easy penetration of weed and wood, by a thin deflecting wire!

However, like a snap link, any fish pressure in a bite reveals the enormous hook.

Finally a small spinner acts as a ‘mepps’ type spinning attractor.

Unlike Newts plug, loaded with ‘Rattle’ as well, the stump Jumper is relatively silent.

18.jpg

I have several colour combinations now, but resolved to try the red and white!

Within a very short space of time, Newt struck into a fish, but I gave a giggle as he lost it at the boat!

These Big Mouthed Bass fight all the way, and it’s no wonder, if they are only lightly hooked that they get away!

Within seconds, I hit one myself and it was Newt’s turn to smile as mine did exactly the same! All the way to the boat, even under once or twice and then as pressure increased, Gone!

However, shortly afterwards another strike and this one didn’t get away

19.jpg

Newt steers the boat by foot pedal, close to the shore, which may be weedy and shallow, bare and deep, snaggy or gravel free, plain or tree lined.

Whichever, it is required to put your bait as close to the bank as possible! Bounce off rocks, throw in among reeds and pray you do not snag up!

(Much more difficult with a bare treble as on Newts rig, than mine)

However, I seemed to snag about 3 to 1 versus Newts score!

21.jpg

This would entail a scream from me, Newt spinning the boat and steering directly over the snag and the lure usually comes free easily, either attached to offending branch or reed, or clearing completely from rock.

A quick hook check and off casting and retrieving again.

The rate of and type of retrieve also has a bearing on the catch rate and we experimented with smooth, steady, fast, slow, jerky etc. to find the ‘best on the day’

Newt sat at the controls mainly, whilst I found standing upright on the narrow back of the boat, soon taught me balance, the rolling underhand flick cast for accuracy and I began to feel more confident.soon Newt was into another fish and played it into the boat.

22.jpg

The size of this fish, in relation to the plug says it all!

These fish are really aggressive and a ‘Reaction’ take, will often see fish attempting to eat things practically their own size!

In these cases, it has to be agreed that hook size is relatively unimportant.

23.jpg

We occassionally worked out an area, turned on the big motor again and zoomed of in search of another stretch (Mostly to Newts mental list of areas that work for him at this time of year)

Twice or 3 times, we switched rods and cricketed away for a ½ hours sport with the Brim (Although once we had a Blue Gill on the Spinner! And a cat on the cricket!)

Then we would be off again, happily spinning for that aggressive fellow-

The Big Mouthed Bass.

As we swept over the Lake as free as birds almost, carving a deep white water wake and exciting a great wash on the flying curves, Newt shouted across on the 3rd evening, “Tomorrow, we’ll go Dogging for Cats”

????? Well, I thought, that sounds different.

AND it was!

Cya

Zip

I do have to say we had fun.

For any that never look at the MD forum, Trev paid me a visit and we spent every day on the water except for the evening he arrived and the day he departed.

And for the record, I DO NOT use big hooks that often. I stay with small ones when targeting smaller fish and have some in my kit as small as #6. Not many though. :D Where I am, a hook smaller than a #1 is starting to get small.

In fact, it is a very good thing Trev does not have false teeth else he would have dropped them on the floor. We were watching a how-to video on rigging and fishing soft plastics done by Woo Daves who is a major expert with the things. At one point, Woo said "For this type of bait, you need to stay with a small hook like a 1/0 or even a #1".

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Mr.Trup@truppington or is that Fartington

True and accurate reports are very hard to obtain if you check out my site you will see all the hard work and networking it takes just to keep the reports sections up to date.Long hours constant emails all for no return.

Even the big boys AT/AM have standard reports they just fudge each week.

Reports Here and Here

Top tip some Fisheries will post a report just to get the anglers on the banks.

:mad:

Anglingforums Intersite Challenge Champions 2003 and 2004 http://www.anglingforums.co.uk

http://www.total-fishingclub.com