2 Runs at once...What do you do ????

John 'BLOCK'

A topic that always comes to mind usually when their is little or no hope of a single run....BUT...What would you do if your'e on your own and playing a fish and the alarms ring out for another take !!?

Interested to hear what other anglers would do !! :cool:

John "The Block" Westley

Enjoy it, it does`nt happen that often! :D:D

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Not sure about other species, but I once had a pike on one rod, then saw the float moving away on another.

I put the reel of the rod that I was holding on free running, and struck into the other fish (deep hooking was my main concern).

Now the pike I had been playing stopped pulling as soon as the pressure was taken off. I honestly believe that it had completely forgotten that it'd been hooked.

I got the second fish into the landing net, then picked up the first rod and, as I tightened up again, the pike started pulling again.

I soon had two pike in the same net, which were quickly unhooked and released.

That trick of slackening off has worked a few times since, when a pike has been heading for a snag. Stop pulling, and it stops pulling!

In another incident, I played a pike to my feet, and it came off. I lowered the sprat back into the water, and the fish was on again!!

As I say, as soon as the pressure is off, they don't know what's happening to them.

There is no stimulus to respond to, so they go back to doing whatever a pike does when some mysterious force isn't trying to pull it through the water!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi John.

Never do it and I mean fish with two rods out(well I try my best not to anyway).

Its a cert that if you are doing beggar all and put another rod up then the inevitable happens.

Mind you the way my record on the river went in the past months I could put 3 out and still not score.

John.