Starting pike fishing

davedave

I am 16 and have been fishing since i was about eight. Caught most species of fish but never been river fishing once, so have missed out on barbel, chub and river pike. Always wanted to catch a river pike as i guessed they would be very powerful, possibly even more so than stillwater pike but never thought i would be up for it. Never ever been fishing for pike before but what if i had a spinning rod, spinners (crush the barbs down) , 6lb mainline and obviously a wire trace, would this be acceptable to start fishing for pike in rivers?

But one thing that concerns me is if i caught the pike, sadly i have no family or friends that fish for pike so would have no-one to show me how to unhook it or anything. Would a landing net, pair of needle nose pliers, and a pair of forceps be enough? Also i would crush the barbs on the spinners.

I know these fish are very powerful and can bite a grown mans arm off if they are big enough, no point in taking a risk so thought id ask your opinion before i started fishing for pike.

Any info, or if you dont think im ready please just say, wont be offended, id rather you were honest.

Thanks, davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 16 and have been fishing since i was about eight. Caught most species of fish but never been river fishing once, so have missed out on barbel, chub and river pike. Always wanted to catch a river pike as i guessed they would be very powerful, possibly even more so than stillwater pike but never thought i would be up for it. Never ever been fishing for pike before but what if i had a spinning rod, spinners (crush the barbs down) , 6lb mainline and obviously a wire trace, would this be acceptable to start fishing for pike in rivers?

But one thing that concerns me is if i caught the pike, sadly i have no family or friends that fish for pike so would have no-one to show me how to unhook it or anything. Would a landing net, pair of needle nose pliers, and a pair of forceps be enough? Also i would crush the barbs on the spinners.

I know these fish are very powerful and can bite a grown mans arm off if they are big enough, no point in taking a risk so thought id ask your opinion before i started fishing for pike.

Any info, or if you dont think im ready please just say, wont be offended, id rather you were honest.

Thanks, davedave

Hey mate

When I first took up Pike fishing I purchased a package for £15.99. Included was: A telescopic spinning rod, 5 small 1-2inch spinners, A low end reel with 12lb line, and about 7 wire traces.

I then purchased a pair of long nose forceps for about £3.99, and took a landing net with me.

Alike you I had never fished for Pike before and had little to no knowledge at all

I went for a go on the River and hit 3 Pike one after the other after 2 hours of nothing! Followed by a Perch that was the same size as the spinner! :lol:

I managed perfectly with the gear above, the only thing I didn't have which I should have took was a Camera!!

I will say though, Pike are not as aggressive as people make them out to be when they are on the bank. In the water they are predators and on the bank they are prey.... I have never had one ''Go for me'' on the bank, just flap around a lot like a... well wet fish HAHA

So as long as you are prepared for an adrenaline rush when you catch them, and jump a mile when they move you are good to go! I certainly was scared crapless when I got my first few! I was close to running away lol

But yes, I would defo say your ready to fish for them. Ideally a person with experience would be better coming with you (I went on my own and managed fine though)

Good luck!

Edited by larsagi2010

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

Thanks, davedave

no pike can bite a mans arm off and in fact are very easily damaged/ killed fish ,i suggest you talk to a few pike anglers on the bank or better still join a club that has a pike "teach" in as Farnham AS does (and hopefully some near you) Pike are not the brutes some people think they are and need treating correctly for you and the pikes sake a good unhooking mat is a good start

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

thanks very much thats very useful :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Really good link mate, just had a good read and there are some excellent tips in there :)

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/

Hopefully there is a region near you and they will just be starting there monthly meetings,go along and i am sure someone there will take you out for some fish handling tips Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Oh dear I thought times had changed.

Dave a pike will not bite you let alone take of any limbs. It has very sharp teeth though and if you run your fingers over them you will cut yourself.Think of a pike more like a Stanly knife ie it wont leap up out of the tool box and cut you but if you rub the blade on your skin it will cut it.

Believe it or not despite their ferocious looks and reputation Pike are very delicate creatures and are easily damaged by anglers.I promise you many ,many more pike are harmed by anglers than anglers harmed by pike. Because of this though it is of paramount importance that you learn exactly how to fish for them and handle any pike you catch. More so than any other species in the UK.

The old advice I always give no doubt bores most on here but it still in m y opinion is the right advice and that is simply not to fish for pike if you are scared of them! And the way you stop being scared is to learn about them.And now the boring bit! No matter how much you read in books magazines or the Internet the way to learn is to go out with a competent piker and learn from him. The real advantage of this is that the pike wont get harmed and the novice piker wont need to worry whilst learning as his mentor will always be there to bail him out if he has any problems.

Check out the links so you get a better idea of the tackle you need (as 6lb line is certainly no good), read up on the different methods,watch a video/DVD?YouTube of handling and unhooking techniques BUT PLEASE PLEASE dont try it on your own and get some one to show you.If all else fails and you can get down to Kent I will take you out for a few days.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ok thanks, will try and find somebody to go with, thanks for the info. If need be will put it off until im a bit older, i wont start this year at least though. Cheers

You'll be ready when you have an experienced piker to go with you and show you the ropes. Please don't attempt pike fishing yourself, even if you do all have the bits and bobs. A difficult hookup could have you in a kerfuffle.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...