Modern reel seats

Neuvy

I've recently bought a TFG 15' X-PLUS CARP/MATCH ROD (beefed up waggler really) it is superb and I want to team it with a J.W. Young and Sons Ltd. Bob James centre pin. At the moment I'm using a modern budget fixed spool reel which fits the modern reel seat but my old pin won't fit without a bit of filing. I've sent an email off to both companies but haven't yet had a response and I guess I may not get one until Monday. So to save hours of wondering on my part till Monday, is there a 'standard' for reel feet and rods seats that should be met by rod and reel manufacturers? I can't try before I buy as I live in France.

Welcome to anglers net Neuvy

Sadly different reel seats, reel bases and lack of standardisation is a common complaint on here. Although I like the individuality of equipment.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Is it a youngs bob james reel that's foot is to big for the reel seat ? If it is it's unusual as there feet will normally slip into most modern reel seats easily.

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't start to chop/file the foot down on any centrepin reel, i'd get a different rod first ! If the pin is worth a few ripp's then you may reduce it's value dramatically by altering it.

Is it a youngs bob james reel that's foot is to big for the reel seat ? If it is it's unusual as there feet will normally slip into most modern reel seats easily.

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't start to chop/file the foot down on any centrepin reel, i'd get a different rod first ! If the pin is worth a few ripp's then you may reduce it's value dramatically by altering it.

No Tigger it was an old centre pin of no real value, I'm trying to find out if a Young's Bob James pin will fit my rod. I wouldn't mess with valuable equipment. Good to hear that you think the Young's reel will fit my current reel seat. I guess Young's and TFG will email me eventually.

It might be possible to change out the reel seat on your rod.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It might be possible to change out the reel seat on your rod.

OO........ that's a bit drastic Newt but I see why you suggest that. I think that the foot on the Young's reel can be unscrewed so I can get one custom made if necessary and keep the original but I don't think it will come to that on reflection, I'll just have to be patient till I get the info that I need.