HELP WITH PERCH?

far bank stalker

hey all. have spent the last month trotting for roach, perch, dace and chub. i know for sure (unless they've been killed off by crap anglers) that my local beat has good specimen perch, but now i'm stuck! i only have the tackle to trot (call me stupid but its the only form i still enjoy!) and trotting dendrobeana only really gets me the small ones. i have some luggs that i dug up the other day, but i suspect that that will get me some slightly bigger ones.

would really like some info on trotting live baits, or any method that will work in flowing water with a float rod and float (is that last bit stupid?)

really anything on snagging a specimen

p.s. i'm not after fame or glory, just some experience with a beautiful fish!

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

if the flow allows (moderate too slow) try stret-pegging that way you can hold position with your bait ,but still use the float for bite indication

chub_stretpegging.jpg

Remember to set the rig well over depth in order to form a bow in the line which helps hold the shot in place on the bottom and allows the float to lie flat. place your anchor shot 3-6" from the hook ,if one shot isn't enough extra shot can be added by creating a simple link ledger .fold a short length of line around the mainline then add ssg (swan) shot too this ,putting them so as too form a small eye at the top of the link ,it'll then rest behind your anchor shot .then you'll effectivly be float ledgering .

Cast directly downstream - not against the current. Then Put the rod in to your rests with the tip angled upwards so line is held off the surface as much as possible . Sit back and wait. You can also do a sort of trot through with it faster flowing waters you just inching your bait through the swim . Do this by lifting the float so that the shot dislodges on the bottom and trundles a few inches downstream. Drop your rod tip to hold it in this new position. Wait a couple of minutes and repeat until the entire swim has been covered. The point where you move the bait is when you should be ready for a bite and they are normally very fast bites it seems the moving bait is something they just don’t want to let go past them.

Just remember your float must be half cocked or laying flat or a perch may feel the resistance of the float . Your float must sit directly downstream of your rod tip - you can not stret peg on the far bank ,but longer rods allow you too fish further out ,not tried it yet but a pole would work well if on pole rests . Place your rod on rod rests to hold it steady and raise the front to keep the maximum amount of line off the surface. And last of all you can only stret peg with a float fixed by silicone at both ends a good choice is a chubba/loafer float.

here is how Martin bowler does it

http://www.martinbowler.co.uk/index.cfm?fu...p;article_id=18

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

hey all. have spent the last month trotting for roach, perch, dace and chub. i know for sure (unless they've been killed off by crap anglers) that my local beat has good specimen perch, but now i'm stuck! i only have the tackle to trot (call me stupid but its the only form i still enjoy!) and trotting dendrobeana only really gets me the small ones. i have some luggs that i dug up the other day, but i suspect that that will get me some slightly bigger ones.

would really like some info on trotting live baits, or any method that will work in flowing water with a float rod and float (is that last bit stupid?)

I am no expert on specimen perch fishing... But I once read:

The smaller perch – those below 1lb – are fairly active, chasing fry and bait fish all over, but once they get above this weight, they tend to get really sneaky

The bigger they get, the less likely they are to chase baits gung-ho style around the swim and prefer static baits more as they require less energy. Unless of course you have it go right under its nose.

So maybe try and do a nice slow trot... Stop the float from time to time and allow the bait to come up in the water slowly and then gently release it....

Might work???? I am sure others will experience would have a better response! But may be worth looking into.

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I think the three things you can do to up your chances of big perch are fish in the right spot, at the right time, with the right bait.

Sounds obvious, but it is really that simple!

The right time and bait are easy - low light conditions (especially dawn and/or dusk), and lobworms or small livebaits. I'm not keen on livebaiting, all my good perch have come to lobs, and lobs are a whole lot easier to store, acquire, keep and use.

The right place is the tricky one. Trial and error will eventually work it out, but some clues are to look for somewhere where the depth is average or deeper than average, where the current is the right speed (changes from venue to venue, but usually not totally slack but not fast, a nice 'steady-slow' speed), where there's cover like overhanging trees, tree roots, reedbeds, thick marginal growth, etc., and a hard bottom.

With the big baits you'll need a big hook, and I use a lightweight size 6 wide gape barbed pattern. If the perch are a good size and you're fishing near snags I would use a 6lb reel line and a 6lb double strength hooklength. Floats need to be fairly big and bouyant to support the weight of the bait - so a big top and bottom avon type float (4-6AAA) for lobs or a chubber/loafer float (3-5SSG) for lives.

You can either trot these or fish overdepth with weight on the deck and fish them static.

A good walk along the stretch should reveal a few perchy looking spots. Travel light and try each of them several times in good conditions - sometimes it all feels good but nothing happens, go back again another day and you fill your boots! Whether that's because they are transient or because they eat large, irregular meals, I'm not sure, although I think it's the latter.

Water colour is also important, but the 'best' colour changes from venue to venue. On the Thames here gin clear water seems best, on a small stream I fish, there needs to be a lot of colour (almost muddy) before the perch come out to play.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I will also add -

Try some of this:

thumb_1ec85dd93eefe5601eb59789dcf92343.jpg

Instead of mixing it with water.... Mix with Irn Bru (Sounds strange but trust me!) and only if it is slow moving water chuck in about two or three 2p size balls of it about 7 meters before a fishable snag... It will break up and ooze that irn bru smell out around the snag, the small amount of fine particles with the strong smell will get the perch interested and get those spikes up.... but will in no way feed them up.... Then a big Lob comes bouncing along the bottom about 15 seconds later.....

With a little luck you are in business :)

Irn bru isn't something I hear mentioned much in fishing conversations. But I can assure you Specimen Perch LOVE the stuff!

I would also recommend allowing the Irn Bru to go flat overnight.. And then soak the lobs in it for a short period of time

Edited by larsagi2010

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I will also add -

Try some of this:

thumb_1ec85dd93eefe5601eb59789dcf92343.jpg

Instead of mixing it with water.... Mix with Irn Bru (Sounds strange but trust me!) and only if it is slow moving water chuck in about two or three 2p size balls of it about 7 meters before a fishable snag... It will break up and ooze that irn bru smell out around the snag, the small amount of fine particles with the strong smell will get the perch interested and get those spikes up.... but will in no way feed them up.... Then a big Lob comes bouncing along the bottom about 15 seconds later.....

With a little luck you are in business :)

Irn bru isn't something I hear mentioned much in fishing conversations. But I can assure you Specimen Perch LOVE the stuff!

I would also recommend allowing the Irn Bru to go flat overnight.. And then soak the lobs in it for a short period of time

Sorry, the link seems dead - try some of what ? The url points to a Dynamite Baits product, but gets 404ed!

Cheers for the irn bru tip... who on earth discovered thet, and why, I wonder?

• 2 weeks later...

would just like to add that i caught a nice 1lb and a bit perch last night using some of the advice from everyone. thanks!

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brigand_doom/5122923032/