Centre Pin Casting

slitshot

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How far is it possible to cast a float with a Centre pin using a Wallis cast ? upto 40m+ ,but practicle distance is 20-30m

What is the ideal lenth rod and best action for distance ? thats down too personal choice ,i personally prefer 11ft & 13ft as my main rods but do sometimes use 14ft & 15ft rods .i find longer rods more awkward too wallis cast with .also i prefer rods with short handles (mostly for float fishing on rivers with)

The Okuma Martin Bowler worth the money ? yes .but cheaper okuma's will be just as good as the lightness of the martin bowler isn't much of a advantage over the regular okuma's (sheffield ,aventa pro) as they're light enough for most users too hold all day .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

How far is it possible to cast a float with a Centre pin using a Wallis cast ?

What is the ideal lenth rod and best action for distance ?

The Okuma Martin Bowler worth the money ?

Ive been wallis casting for a season or two and can comfortably cast a float (5-7 bb and 6lb line) 3 or 4 rod length (15-20 yards) with out trying to hard.

I should think you will get a few different answers on the best rod length for casting as it maybe down to what people are used to using. Anywhere between 10 and 17 feet would do for me.

The Okuma Martin Bowler is about £200 which i think is about middle of the road in the centre pin market. It's fairly light (lighter than some anyway) which some think may help when casting or when trotting in slow flows and work well. Having used the bowler and a bit heavier aventa pro, I'm not sure it makes much difference. Both will cast and fish pretty much as well as each other, as will lots of other pins. Having said that i do like the lightness of my bowler as it feels nice on a light rod.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Oh my god!!

You have all ranted for as long as I can remember about Okumas being cheap as chips compared to youngs reels and now they have brought out a limited addition that doesn't look much different to their other reels for more than I payed for my B.J.

I'm not being funny but if i wanted a light weight reel with no extras like drag adjustment then i'd save even more money and pick the grey's Bewick. Mine is now as free running as the Allcocks Match Ariel and you can pick one up for under £100 off fleebay.

Using a Preston Innovations 17ft but starting to find it hard on me wrist, as the cast is bascialy one handed rod super fish stopper . thinking of something around 14ft would have liked to try the old Askari 15ft rod .Don,t get any more distance with longer rod but casts seem much more accurate

Found the Martin Bowler to have a strange tinny sort of feel but can,t fault it,s preformance

You want a really light centrepin look at the ZenMaster you'll find it on ebay...cheap and light.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Zen master don,t think we will be seeing many of those on the river bank looks like the might fall to pices just getting it of the box.

Youngs sold there souls when they got there reels made in China rather save myself £100 on a reel that I know is made in China

I'm not being funny but if i wanted a light weight reel with no extras like drag adjustment then i'd save even more money and pick the grey's Bewick. Mine is now as free running as the Allcocks Match Ariel and you can pick one up for under £100 off fleebay.

The Bewick is also much easier to Wallis cast with than the Okumas, at least in my experience anyway.

Guest bbamboo
Oh my god!!

You have all ranted for as long as I can remember about Okumas being cheap as chips compared to youngs reels and now they have brought out a limited addition that doesn't look much different to their other reels for more than I payed for my B.J.

Non of them is a free running as the okuma.

I know because I have had them all at one time.

The adcock stanton requires about the same start up as a new okuma pin.

By far the best on start up is the AN pin requires one number 8 shot to get the spool in motion.

It all depends on what you want and more important how and were you fish thats why most of us have more than one pin to use. Not a fan of the Greys pin sent it back for a full refund the original match ariel is a way better reel IMO

Non of them is a free running as the okuma.

I know because I have had them all at one time.

The adcock stanton requires about the same start up as a new okuma pin.

By far the best on start up is the AN pin requires one number 8 shot to get the spool in motion.

It all depends on what you want and more important how and were you fish thats why most of us have more than one pin to use. Not a fan of the Greys pin sent it back for a full refund the original match ariel is a way better reel IMO

Was yours the first Bewick reel. They made many improvements with the new model. I saw the first and refused it but love the second.

I have found any of the reels are only as good as the oil. I dont own an okuma but have tried them and will not be replacing my BJ or BJ lightweight with them. Now the Purist, thats a different story.

Oh, and yes, the Bewick is a delight to cast with. I also reserve mine for light floats and line tactics as all it takes to get it turning is a single no.6.