Pros & Cons of pole fishing !!

John 'BLOCK'

i'v had a 20lb4oz carp on my pole and i think the uk pole record is 39 lb

i'v heard of folk using them to go for pike on canals

wobbling deadbaits against the far bank .

I just didn't believe it :D . I watched, in horror, as fellow used a pole to pike fish with.

Two size 20 elastics, whatever that means. Yes, he was working the far bank. Might just as easily have worked the near bank with a rod though!

Perhaps it is okay, never tried it but I do have reservations about the ability to set the hook. My main worry is if you snag. With a 30 lb Fireline you can probably pull to break the hooks, meaning that you don't leave a rig tethered/snagged. Such a tethered rig just might be taken by a pike, and therefore the pike itself would become tethered.

Equally a swan could feed off the bottom & become caught up in the lost elastic or hooked on the tethered rig. Only theory but I feel that the possible downsides far outweigh the practical advantages. Personally I would suggest a planer-board to work the far bank for pike.

[ 01 June 2002, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

THe reason they are so expensive is because the carbon in a very very expensive rod is still no where near as pure or light as one in a moderately expensive pole.

I dont like them but its just laziness, cant be bothered taking 10 minutes to get my bait in and have my pole sitting across a walkway.

I am also pretty accurate at casting, in fact its one of the best parts of my game so the accuracy card has never sold me on them.

You should not knock things you just don't understand. If you match fished you would know why the use of the pole is so extensive.

I fished a match on Saturday, which was float only with no poles. Many others and I lost a whole assortment of floats and rigs against the island vegetation that ran down the middle of the pool, as this was where the fish patrol and are caught. If I had been able to fish the pole I would guarantee that I would have lost no tackle and caught far more fish. More importantly we would not have left the bushes opposite looking like Christmas trees!

When you have tried pole fishing then you can knock it!

Well said Big Nick

I went fishing one day with some mates from work to a small lake that none of us had fished before, both my mates had poles. The lake had a island in the middle with reads all around about 12meters out from the bank.But to catch the fish you had to drop your bait very tight to the island at the end of the day my peg looked like a christmas tree with floats all over the show. Until that day there was no way is was going to spend the sort of money you need to start pole fishing but watching my mates fish and to see how easly they were placing the bait close to the island and catching more fish than me. Well you can guess the rest i went to my local tackle shop and had a chat with owner and came away with a 13 meter pole for about £300 and it the best thing i have done

Food for thought...i'm full !!

Nice one there enjoyed reading people's comments

I agree with amny the whole rod and line thing is much more appealing....i think i would use a cheap pole to bait up mainly or as one post said

Quote..

"I fished a match on Saturday, which was float only with no poles. Many others and I lost a whole assortment of floats and rigs against the island vegetation that ran down the middle of the pool, as this was where the fish patrol and are caught. If I had been able to fish the pole I would guarantee that I would have lost no tackle and caught far more fish. More importantly we would not have left the bushes opposite looking like Christmas trees!

One definite advantage on that front no one likes to leave stuff like that in the enviroment !!`

John "The Block" Westley