A Simple bait question....

dizidave

I recently dug some new ponds and have been slowly catching the fish in the original pond and transferring everything under 5 lb to the new ponds. To make up for the lack of natural food in the new ponds, I have been throwing the contents of a corned beef tin into the shallows each day towards evening. Within a few minutes the water is 'boiling'. I have not tried corned beef as a hook bait but suspect that it would be difficult to keep on the hook in warm weather. Perhaps the fatty bits would stay on better.

See you all on September 22nd http://www.march-info.org

Jim Roper

www.searchlineuk.com

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

I recently saw some plonker turn up on a commercial fishery with his battery of rods etc, cast out his boilies and sit there all day biteless. All around him were pole anglers bagging up with cat food, meat, pellets, maggots (the list goes on). They were catching between 10 and 30 Carp each, while the ‘expert’ caught bugger all!!! I think it is about time these so called Carp anglers (I think to deserve that title you need to be able to catch them!) learnt that fishing is not necessarily about baits but feeding and presentation. Something you cannot achieve at 90 yards with 12lb curly line!

If he couldn’t catch on an easy fishery, it just goes to show how poor are boilies as a bait!

Sorry dizidave know this is your subject matey but would just like to ask.

When i was younger one of the most widely used baits for carp were Boiled new potatoes when available, Does anyone still use thes or have they been taken over by the boile.

Also would like to say, maybe the reason boile works better/catches at long distances is because there is less natual food out there and the carp have to hunt for food more than they would in the shallows, where peeps have been emptying their bait tins/boxes of worms, sweetcorn, meats.

this is my thoughts so if i am wrong please say so, i am intrested to know.

Danez:

When i was younger one of the most widely used baits for carp were Boiled new potatoes when available, Does anyone still use thes or have they been taken over by the boile.

Don't know about the UK but potatoes (boiled or raw) are still used in the US and still take carp.

Great if there are lots of tiddler fish that will eat normal hook baits. Good (especially raw) if there are lots of crays in the water since they hold up nicely.

LOL - and I'll bet it has been a couple of years since your younger days since potatoes seem to have gone out of fashion in the UK some few years ago. In my case, I'm sure I was younger at some point in time but darned if I can remember that far back. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have fished for carp here in ireland, watched lads fishing 4 rods with boilies and bolt rigs catch 3 or 4 fish. Caught over a dozen on floating dog biscuits 4 feet from the bank.

use what u find best. bait doesn't make up for common sense and water-craft. :D:D :cool:

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..